Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any UK solicitors around for advice..

(6 Posts)
Fatty12 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:27:30


I'll try to be as short as possible. This is a complicated case but I'm writing this on behalf of a friend.

Going back to the 1960s/1970s, her grandad came to the UK to work from India and after a short while became a permenant resident here. He brought his wife and 3 sons with him, leaving his only daughter in India to look after her grandad. (The daughter was never brought over and ended up getting married in India and now has grown up children; and I don't think she's named on the UK papers either that she's part of the family).

The point of this post is to ask if there is a possibility of her being called to the UK too. Is there anything out there that will allow this? Any laws.. I presume DNA will be required for this which i'm sure won't be an issue.

Help?! Advice..

LaurieFairyCake Wed 17-Aug-16 15:31:02

I don't understand 'of her being called to the UK' confused - are you asking if she's allowed to come here for a visit? Gain residency here?

curlywillow Wed 17-Aug-16 15:31:35

what do you mean being "called to the UK"?

She doesn't have any sort of entitlement just because her grandfather came over if that's what you mean.

curlywillow Wed 17-Aug-16 15:41:15

I think you mean can she move to the UK as an adult to join her family.

The answer is no. She cannot move to the UK as a dependent family member because she is an adult child over the age of 18 with her own life. If she was under 18 she could have been sponsored by the family member.

She can only come as a dependent adult if her children are here and can sponsor her.

Otherwise she'll need her own visa which would (in most situations) mean her having a sponsored job to come to which pays more than £20,800 (shortly going up to £25k) and which cannot be filled by a UK/EU resident.

Fatty12 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:52:37

Hi i do apologise about the parts that weren't clear. Running around after a newborn at same time! smile

It's his daughter im talking about. And yes I do mean gaining residency here..

curlywillow Wed 17-Aug-16 16:00:45

Ok so the answer is no.

She is considered on her own merits (and is unlikely to qualify unless she has specialist skills)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now