Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Hit and run

(13 Posts)
Gardenbirds123 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:57:28

My car was smashed into by stolen motorbike tonight
Culprit fled scene but did in whole side panel of
Car (mirror bumper and both doors)
Left bike with petrol pouring out of it so both police and Fire engine involved
Have fully come insuramce but 7 years no claims bonus
What woul you do- sort it out self or claim?

Gardenbirds123 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:58:04

Sorry should say fully comprehensive

BluePitchFork Fri 12-Aug-16 23:59:12

well you need to inform insurance anyway no matter what...

honeysucklejasmine Fri 12-Aug-16 23:59:21

Of course report. Do you not have protected no claims? Even if you don't, you might not lose any or all of your NCB.

Gardenbirds123 Sat 13-Aug-16 00:01:54

Do you really have to report? I'm not sure if my no claims is protected or not 😢

Gardenbirds123 Sat 13-Aug-16 00:03:27

Can't afford to pay excess and then increased premiums, would rather just get garage to repair damage. Police and Fire engine said was all cosmetic

Bastard theiving wanker.

JudyCoolibar Sat 13-Aug-16 00:08:03

I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to make an Untraced Driver claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau -

Scrumptiousbears Sat 13-Aug-16 00:28:27

Id get a quote and weight it up then.

prh47bridge Sat 13-Aug-16 07:42:55

If the repairs come to less than the excess you will only pay the cost of repairs. If the police identify the motorcyclist you may not have to pay the excess at all.

You are required to inform your insurer of the accident even if you don't make a claim. If you don't you will be in breach of the terms of your policy which could result in your insurers refusing to cover you in future. Of course, many people get away with not informing their insurers of minor accidents but this is the risk you run.

Sweetpotatoaddict Sat 13-Aug-16 07:48:11

Some reversed into my car, cosmetic damage cracked front bumper was £1700 to fix. Repairs may cost lots more than you think.

Tfoot75 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:58:24

How much is your excess? If both doors damaged + more panels it will be more than excess I would have thought! You should really set your excess at a point that you can afford to pay, otherwise you can't afford to run the cae

ChunkyHare Sat 13-Aug-16 15:45:51

I was hit by someone that couldn't be claimed against so it goes down on my insurance as my fault because the insurance company couldn't claim off the other party's insurance. Police were involved in incident so had crime number etc.

I wish now I had taken it to a body shop and got them to quote for it because my insurance has shot up, never mind the excess I had to pay, I'll be paying for that increase in premiums for years.

It is standard across the insurance industry that it only goes down as no fault of yours if they can claim back the money from the other insurance company.

LurkingHusband Mon 15-Aug-16 10:23:03

If the police and fire brigade attended it's almost guaranteed they will have noted the damage - and your details. Which will be available to your insurer ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now