Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Small claims court

(4 Posts)
UnderCroft Fri 05-Aug-16 14:29:11

I am about to have an interview for a job which requires vetting and a clean criminal record. Also sign Official Secrets Act. Quite a niche job so would prefer not to say.

I want to start a small claim against someone who has done some building work for me and left my house in a mess. He's claiming I owe him as I haven't paid the 'client's satisfaction' instalment and I think he owes me as I'll need to spend £5k+ putting it right.

I have held off starting the claim incase it shows up on the vetting check but the other side of me is worried he will start his own claim which I imagine will look worse.

What should I do for the best?

caroldecker Fri 05-Aug-16 14:55:37

Start the claim - it is a civil matter, not criminal so will not show up and doesn't matter. You can have civil disputes with someone even if you behave properly.

UnderCroft Fri 05-Aug-16 15:19:30

Thanks Carol. Really appreciate your advice.

Shugz Tue 16-Aug-16 11:50:32

I have put in a small claim against my X husband I left with nothing with my 1 year old. I have tried everything to get my stuff back. I had nothing apart from 2 outfits and some clothes for my daughter. I have now put on a claim. Can someone explain what are my chances of getting anything.how should I gather my evidence as all my receipts are on his house.o have printed bank statements and online orders. I'm so stressed all my things are in his house and I can't do anything. It's so depressing Someone plz help me thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now