Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Police appealing CPS decision

(9 Posts)
mynameiscalypso Mon 01-Aug-16 21:07:28

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible but I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight into what happens when the police appeal a CPS decision?

I reported something to the police a while ago and a few months ago they sent the file to the CPS for a decision. The CPS decided to take no further action. I disagree with the basis on which they made the decision and told the police that I would be using the Victims' Right to Review scheme to appeal the decision. They have, however, told me to hold off for now because they have kicked off a formal police appeal process which I gather has to go through various senior people in both the police and CPS.

I had never been told that a police appeal was an option so I was just wondering how to interpret it and also, the question that I doubt anyone can answer, how long the process was likely to take. All I've been told is that it's not going to be quick.

I know the stats on successful appeals against CPS decisions under the VRR scheme are pretty low (around 10%) so is a police appeal likely to be more successful?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. There is a police officer who is supposed to give me regular updates and explain the process but he's pretty useless.

The2Ateam Mon 01-Aug-16 21:12:35

I've never really heard of it, but I can't see why senior police officers couldn't ask CPS to reconsider their decision. I'm not sure why you also couldn't make you Victims Right to Review at the same time though? I would be tempted to still do it.

mynameiscalypso Mon 01-Aug-16 21:28:25

I am definitely still planning to make an appeal and have already written, but not sent, a letter to the CPS outlining the reasons I disagree but the police have suggested that right to review process is on hold until they've finished their appeal. Whether that is actually true or just what is easier for them, I'm not sure.

The2Ateam Tue 02-Aug-16 10:54:07

I don't see the connection, you have nothing to lose. Do it.

prh47bridge Tue 02-Aug-16 17:26:10

I don't see the connection

I do.

The police have effectively escalated the case to the first line of management. If that cannot resolve the issue it gets escalated further.

The VRR goes straight to a higher level of management, effectively overriding the review instigated by the police.

It is possible that going straight to VRR will result in a decision not to prosecute whereas allowing the police to continue would have resulted in someone lower down the management tree in the CPS deciding to prosecute.

mynameiscalypso Tue 02-Aug-16 18:29:57

Thanks both, I really appreciate the views. It's a fairly subjective case (your basic he said / she said) so I feel like it's on my interests to have as many chances as possible for people in the CPS to review the decision in the hopes that one of them feels as strongly about it as I and the police do.

JacquettaWoodville Tue 02-Aug-16 18:32:21

Calypso

I don't know the answer but wools trust PRH. I wanted to say good luck and I hope you get your case heard.

JacquettaWoodville Tue 02-Aug-16 18:33:14

I would trust PRH! Nothing to do with wool!!

mynameiscalypso Tue 02-Aug-16 18:35:35

Thank you Jacquetta, I appreciate it. It's been a long hard slog to get this far but I'm not giving up yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now