Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

do I have a claim here?

(6 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Mon 01-Aug-16 18:23:27

I'll try to keep this short and simple (if you need to know more detail just ask)

I moved into my house in September of last year (house is rented). we were receiving letters for a tenant who hasn't lived here since 2008. I sent the letters personally to throw estate agents. they opened the letter and told me I need to phone the gas company as they're demanding money. I phoned them and they said they will stop all letters. I then received another letter for old tenant so my sister got onto them on twitter and was told to set up an account and all charges will be dropped (these charges were the standing charges). as our house does not use gas (everything is electric) she said they'll send someone to remove the box. box was removed and was told there was no gas use or going into my house it's been cut off already. I then received another letter saying I need to pay them £71. I still have the twitter conversation proving I'm allowed to have charges removed.

Leviticus Mon 01-Aug-16 18:27:01

A claim for what? It doesn't sound as though you've paid them anything, just that they keep sending bills to the previous tenant in error. Have you missed something out?

Drquin Mon 01-Aug-16 18:33:57

What's the £71 for?
If it's outstanding charges for previous tenant then that's not for you to pay.
Not sure about a claim ..... Sounds like you've not paid them anything (quite rightly it would seem) ... So what's the claim for?

Feelingsolow12345 Mon 01-Aug-16 19:11:49

they're demanding me I should pay £71 for the standing charge of the gas meter. I contacted them on the 12th may saying I didn't know I had a gas box my house is fully electric. they said I don't have to pay nothing as the gas has been cut off.

the claim is they're demanding I need to pay it and it's going to affect my credit score and harassment.

Leviticus Mon 01-Aug-16 19:37:55

I'd just write a letter outlining everything and include a copy of the tweets. Make it clear you'll be contacting the energy regulator if they don't sort it out.

Feelingsolow12345 Mon 01-Aug-16 22:35:39

I've been dealing with them all night and they said they have filed my complaint and once they are back in the office they'll see it and hold my account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now