Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Scotland - grant of confirmation questions

(5 Posts)
lostinyonkers Sun 31-Jul-16 17:41:19

My lovely Dad died a month ago. We are in Scotland and the probate process, or grant of confirmation, is driving me demented. Ddad wasn't Rockefeller, but the estate is classed as large (over £36K hmm ) so we have to obtain confirmation.

He had a will, DMum is his sole beneficiary, and the assets are mainly their home (jointly owned with DMum), ISA, current bank account, a couple of small savings accounts, premium bonds and some shares (worth about tuppence ha'penny).

I completed the C1 and C5 forms, took them to the Sheriff's Court, and they were rejected because they weren't completed correctly. Now, I haven't been able to find anything online which shows exactly what wording to use - have used guidance forms off Scottish courts and GOV.uk websites, but there appears to be a lot of archaic legal language which has to be used, including on the doquetting of the will. I can't find examples of how to complete the forms anywhere.

I am reasonably bright, but this is doing my head in. Does anyone know if there are any websites that actually show examples of the completed forms.

Failing that, how much would a solicitor charge for doing the work?

K3vso Sat 11-Mar-17 00:28:19

Hi Lostinyonkers
I wondered if you managed to get your confirmation done? I am also in a very similar situation. My Dad died in August and my Brother and i are trying to help my Mum to complete the forms. Like you i am struggling in knowing what to write and include. I wondrered if you managed to do yours? Any advice you could give me would be a great help.
Thanks
Kx

user1487194234 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:56:51

You should be able to get a solicitor for around £500

purpleviolet1 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:59:44

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inheritance-tax-confirmation-c1

If you scroll down a bit in the supplementary section there is guidance notes on how to complete the form...

We are currently doing it via a solicitor as I'm about to give birth and move house so don't have the time/ energy to spend on it. They are charging approx £1200 in total.

K3vso Tue 14-Mar-17 20:20:30

Thanks for your quick responses.
We have had a look at the guidance notes and have starting filling things in, but one of the solicitors has gave us a price of £750 + vat and the sheriff's court fees on top so we are going to go with that.
I dont know why none of the other solicitors we contacted couldn't of gave us a quote. there loss.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now