Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Childs compensation

(10 Posts)
Chocolou Fri 29-Jul-16 15:41:48

My ds was involved in a car accident. All but he's getting compensation.
We have to go infront of the judge to make sure the amount is fair. All fine. I believe the money gets put into a trust is that right?
My solicitor says we can ask for an amount for something special I.e a computer. Would we be allowed to ask for it to take him on holiday?

MummyBex1985 Sat 30-Jul-16 21:30:37

Surely that's something you should pay for. It's hardly an essential need, is it?

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Jul-16 21:33:37

DD has money in a court fund. The judge told us any withdrawals would be exceptional and we would have to prove it was solely for her benefit. If she needs it to get to college auditions next year, I will apply for it. Otherwise she gets it when she's 18.

Desmondo2016 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:41:33

I think a family holiday would be a reasonable request, especially if you haven't been able to have one for a while it your DC has been particularly stressed out about the accident.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 05-Aug-16 21:07:54

Compensation for what though?

danadas Fri 05-Aug-16 21:33:47

It depends on the judge but generally a family holiday wouldn't be a valid reason. The money is your child's money and it would generally be viewed as not the responsibility of the child to pay for the family to go away.

Requests that are usually accepted are things like a laptop for school, driving lessons for the child at 17 or a school trip.

NeedAnotherGlass Fri 05-Aug-16 21:48:50

Definitely not for a family holiday, you have to show that the money is specifically for the child's needs.

Valmur Fri 05-Aug-16 21:52:38

I would be very surprised if a judge authorised it to be released for a family holiday. The whole point is to secure the money for the child's benefit alone.

BeckyMcDonald Sat 06-Aug-16 12:17:40

If there are extra costs attached to a 'normal' family holiday then you are well within your right to at least request money to cover this. For example, if your child has been left disabled and you need to book specialist transport or accommodation then a judge may look kindly on your request.

To be honest, you can ask for anything you want, however ludicrous people here may think it is. A judge will just dismiss it if he/ she thinks the request isn't fair.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sat 06-Aug-16 12:29:54

Money for something he needs for school/education would be approved as it is solely for his benefit. A holiday isn't something a minor would normally pay for themselves, and doesn't solely benefit him, so I can't imagine a judge releasing the funds for that. It's your sons money, not family money and that's why the courts protect it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now