Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How do we work this out?

(3 Posts)
summersunshineaddict Fri 29-Jul-16 10:01:36

ExDP (wow first time I've put the Ex on there, that was unpleasant) and I bought a house together in October. Since then everything has gone wrong and we're on a break, whether that is permanent or not remains to be seen.

I am able to buy him out of the house but I need to know what is fair and what I could expect.

I put in the deposit (around 50% of house value) and since then I have paid around 70K on refurbishments. He has paid the mortgage (which is in joint names). The initial investment is covered by a deed of trust but the refurbishment money is not. The house is currently worth less than the initial investment plus the refurbishment costs due to being half finished.

What is legal and what is fair?

MrsBertBibby Fri 29-Jul-16 11:24:37

I'm afraid you need to see a solicitor for this, far too complicated for on here.

Did you not discuss it at the time of doing the refurbs?

summersunshineaddict Fri 29-Jul-16 11:29:54

Well yes we did but we weren't expecting things to go wrong so quickly to be honest.

I think he genuinely believes the house has increased in value compared to what we've put in and it hasn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now