Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can my ex stop me from moving away?

(5 Posts)
CustardCream1 Wed 27-Jul-16 23:08:15

Hi, please oh please can someone help me. I have a one year old daughter. My ex has always been emotionally abusive to me and also been violent in the way of punching through walls and threatening to kill me. I split up from him when I was 4 months pregnant. Due to relentless pressure from him, his family and my family and despite my own wishes, I have let him see him see my DD at my house whenever he chose and once a fortnight I agreed he could take our DD to his Dad's. I have had concerns for a long time about his mental state, he has had several mental breakdowns, self harms, has taken an overdose, once stalked the people who lived in his former home and said he wanted to kill them and once disappeared and returned covered in mud and said he had no clue where he had been. Our entire relationship he had been moody, passive aggressive and controlling, I recently decided to move up north to live near family. When I told my ex he broke down and had a panic attack. Two days later I had a nasty letter from his solicitor saying I could not move without his written consent and if I tried, my ex would get a prohibition court order to stop me moving. I am unemployed and cannot afford solicitors. I need to move away to get away from this man and make a better life for my child and I. What should I do? Please help me.

throwingpebbles Wed 27-Jul-16 23:19:18

Please call national centre for domestic violence. In your situation they may be able to sort legal aid (ie free legal advice even at court)

Will google number if phone battery lasts long enough!

facebookrecruit Wed 27-Jul-16 23:19:19

Pretty sure given the circumstances he can't force you to stay put?

throwingpebbles Wed 27-Jul-16 23:20:17

www.ncdv.org.uk/

Here, please call them, they turned my life around with one court order smile

CustardCream1 Sun 31-Jul-16 10:57:37

Thank you all for your advice. I have got some good advice from various helplines and in particular from a Women's Aid outreach worker. I also saw a solicitor who gave some very good advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now