We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Cafcass recommend drug test for mother

(18 Posts)
Rosewine72 Wed 27-Jul-16 15:55:03

Hi, wondered if anyone could help, after numerous problems with my partners ex effecting us and the children, it is now going to court in September. The mum is suspected to be on coccaine and cafcass have suggested she has a drug test and a mental health assessment. The agreement at the moment is 50/50 custody but she doesn't stick to this one week she can't have them this night or that because of something another week, they prefer to live with her all the time and she wants full custody , then games start so my dp has had enough. However I'm wondering what will happen if the drug test is positive , will she be even allowed to have her kids? We've already said between us we would have them full time but I know my dp in particular is worried they would miss her as obviously they love her unconditionally and also they would hate us I guess. Just want to know people's opinions?

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 15:58:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosewine72 Wed 27-Jul-16 15:59:08

No

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 16:16:53

Rosewine72 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:51:31

Yeh we're nowhere near that stage and I would hope it doesn't come to that, just wondered what would happen if drug test positive that's all no idea what happens

aginghippy Wed 27-Jul-16 16:59:06

There are many factors to take into account, nothing is automatic. I don't think any of us strangers on the internet could say would happen. Other than that the judge in the case would consider the test result in making their ruling.

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 17:02:20

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 17:04:46

Rosewine72 Wed 27-Jul-16 18:13:04

Ok thank u, yes we have yet to discover what she thinks about any of it, I have no worries about being investigated at all, other than any stress it may cause , it's just the not knowing what's going to happen really . Thanks for your input.

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 18:18:44

Collaborate Thu 28-Jul-16 07:10:59

Children can be removed from one of the parents without the involvement of social services (via a s37 report). As it is already in court (presumably in a private case between the parents) that is one option already open to the court.

There merely remains the difficult problem of who will pay for the drug testing.

Rosewine72 Thu 28-Jul-16 07:40:04

Rocketsocks, it's not us that has asked for the drug test, it is cafcass , she has a history of using cocaine , cafcass asked my dp if he had any concerns with drugs, he merely said yes there is a concern but we have no proof and certainly haven't said she is on drugs and we want her tested. We have suspicions but no proof other than here say , and the fact it was a issue when they were married, so it won't make us look like liars. I'm also aware she can throw things at us she has lied before and it is stressful and just awful but well sometimes you have to do what u have to do. All this has ultimately affected the children negatively which is why we are going down this route.

rocketsocks Thu 28-Jul-16 08:18:42

Rosewine72 Thu 28-Jul-16 09:29:46

Well that sounds awful for you, and I know what it's like being at the end of the accusations , this very woman has said some awful things already and I wouldn't put anything past her, she will claim her ex my dp is controlling and much more she has accused me of so much too but she has no proof.

It maybe that it doesn't get as far as a drug test who knows, it's complicated but I can't quite believe I walked into this mess as myself and my ex don't have any issues over our children. We may very well end up with his children full time we did for a time anyway but they did miss their mum, it's always difficult to do the right thing.

It sounds like your ex put u through hell, I have a friend that went through the same but she came out of it on top too , I've no idea how this will turn out , I don't really want the children to be taken away from their mum but I do want her to just leave us alone and this seems to be the only way forward! Life eh !

MrsBertBibby Thu 28-Jul-16 09:34:43

CAFCASS don't 'order' tests, they recommend that the court consider ordering them. So the tests won't happen until after the next hearing. The Court will decide who pays, and what type of tests (you need a hair strand test, not blood or urine), for which drugs (the more drugs groups the pricier the test) and for what period (12 months max)

If her hair is short, 12 months may not be possible. She should be reminded not to cut or colour her hair until samples are taken.

Are any of you represented?

Rosewine72 Thu 28-Jul-16 09:43:53

Oh well we will see what happens then, the hearing is in September , we have a solicitor I have absolutely no idea what she is doing she doesn't appear to have a solicitor yet. We may find out more in September I guess

WrappedInABlankie Thu 28-Jul-16 19:59:15

usually you're ordered to pay half each (that's what happened in our case) DC's sperm donor was a regular cocaine user. As I raised the concern and he had to prove against them they said it was only fair he paid half. depending on hair length you may have to wait whilst it grow but I assume she has more than 3cm of hair! If she cuts or colours it she will get in trouble (In my case he did) he cut his hair the day before his test so they couldn't take a sample and we had to wait another 3 months for it to grow again by which time it was out of his system.

What contact she would be allowed is all dependant on the judge. The one at the first hearing said if it came back with any drug no contact would be granted until he can prove he is clean for a substantial amount of time! The second judge said she would of only allowed supervised (which he got anyway)

rocketsocks Thu 28-Jul-16 21:25:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now