Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

False report to Child Services

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MaddiesMummy83 Wed 27-Jul-16 09:23:28

Hi All

Just after some advice. Had a call from SS yesterday saying there had been a report of on going verbal abuse by me towards my 1 yr old. Turns out the Landlord (who lives 80 miles away!) was told by a neighbour they were 'extremely concerned about DD's saftey' and could he call SS on their behalf. Funny that after this neighbour banging on my door on Friday and being aggressive to me because me and my partner had asked the work men in his garden to stop throwing cigarette butts into our garden and to turn the music down we then get a call from SS about alleged abuse. SS said the call was placed on Saturday evening at 9.20pm to the emergency line.

My HV said not to worry as she has no concerns about us and I know we haven't done anything wrong but what do I do about the Landlord?

When we asked him yesterday why he called SS he was very rude and hung up the phone. He said he was doing what the neighbour told him because he's an ex police officer and he didn't really know what SS did or what they're for!

I've been sick with worry all night and can't believe someone would do this!

HappyHeart87 Wed 27-Jul-16 10:48:35

Ugh, sounds horrible. What a nasty thing to do.

It must be really hard not to worry, but malicious referrals aren't uncommon and SS will have dealt with them before. Have SS said what they're doing?

I'd imagine they'll need to do some form of assessment in response to the referral, but if you are cooperative and open with them then they will be able to see that there's nothing to worry about. You can explain to them that there has been conflict with your neighbour. (It's weird that if they were so concerned they wouldn't make the referral themselves, and SS will notice that.) They will produce some sort of report or write up when they're completed their work, which you can request a copy of.

RE your landlord, if it were me I'd probably write to him, including a copy of the final report, and reassuring him that you're doing your best to maintain good neighbourly relationships but you've experienced some challenges in that.

KittyLaRoux Wed 27-Jul-16 10:51:43

Ask mnhq to remove the name from your post if it is her real name OP.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Jul-16 13:43:29

Hi OP, we've nipped in and edited the name out for you.

prh47bridge Wed 27-Jul-16 18:30:53

In legal terms there isn't really anything you can do about your landlord. Child abuse was reported to him and he reported it to Social Services. He had no way of knowing whether or not the report was false so in child protection terms he did exactly the right thing. His report to social services is covered by qualified privilege so you could only sue him for slander successfully if you could show that he acted out of malice. In the circumstances you describe I think that is highly unlikely.

Your argument is with your neighbour, not your landlord.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now