Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

2nd opinion on divorce advice

(4 Posts)
Trybeforeyoubuy Tue 26-Jul-16 06:15:21

Is it possible to get a second opinion on advice I have been getting from legal team without disinstructing - my situation is complicated and involves an EA X - what I am being told makes no sense to me and therefore am finding it hard to "accept" the advice - how do you know if what you are being told is really in your best interest or just the path of least resistance.

Collaborate Tue 26-Jul-16 07:30:22

Yes. You should expect to have to pay for it though.

Trybeforeyoubuy Tue 26-Jul-16 09:22:03

collaborate - thanks for replying happy to pay - can you expand at all

Mumblechum0 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:17:12

I think what Collaborate means is that yes, you can make an appointment with another solicitor for a 2nd opinion. When I was in practice I'd occasionally do this for someone. You should expect to pay for an hour's time, so around £220 plus VAT + depending on where in the country you are.

You will need to give them as much factual information as possible. If you need advice on the finances, that means Form E if you have them. Otherwise, a clear account of both your and your STBX's finances. Don't go into the EA business if all you want to know is whether the financial advice is sound.

If you need a second opinion on other matters where EA may be relevant, eg Children Act proceedings, then of course you'll need to mention it.

You can always ask for a second opinion on this board but it won't be as reliable as we won't know all the ins and outs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now