Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Nightmare tenants

(54 Posts)
olympicfan Sat 23-Jul-16 07:46:52

Tenants are 2 months in arrears, we have a court date for possession on 8th Aug.

Every month since they moved in we have had complaints from neighbours about noise, screaming, shouting, swearing, door slamming at all hours night and day. Police have been called on numerous occasions. He has been arrested and released each time.

Rubbish/recycling left all over with free holder threatening to have the rubbish removed at our expense. We have collected, sorted and disposed of their rubbish three times now. The first time 8 weeks of rubbish piled up in the communal area. Yesterday 4 weeks of rubbish. When we sorted it to put it in the correct recycling bags at our house we found the:
The court possession date letter thrown away
Tenancy aggreement
Final demand for council tax arrears
Final demand for water rates
Final demands for non payment of train fares
Letters from police about possession of a knife
Loan refusals
JSA letters dated Feb 1st
Pay slips some £4000 a month others £400 dating between Sept 15 to Jan 16 (it seems he lost his job on 1st Feb, 3 weeks before they moved in... great)

We have had no communication with them since issuing a Section 8, but yesterday received more complaints about rubbish (so we dealt with that) and complaints about a possible leak with water damage affecting the downstairs flat which originates in our flat.

The free holder has asked us to get the leak investigated and put right.

How do we gain access to our flat when tenants won't communicate with us and feel they are above the law... free council tax, train travel, rent etc?

God knows what state the flat is in. We inspected it in June and it was spotless... before the section 8 was issued.

What happens if they ignore the possession order and just stay put? How do we get our flat back?

LittleMoonbuggy Sat 23-Jul-16 08:10:03

What a nightmare.

Do you belong to a landlords association, eg ZnLA? If so I'd ring their members helpline for help. Also if you have landlord insurance contact them.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

olympicfan Sat 23-Jul-16 08:15:36

Yes we are in a Landlord Ass. They said we can only have access to the flat if it is an emergency. A water leak is not an emergency, apparently.

So hoping tenants will communicate.

Thinking of emailing them to say a plumber is hoping to investigate the leak on Mon or Tue. If they can be there that would be preferable, but if not we have keys and can make ourselves available. Is this legal? or unreasonable?

LIZS Sat 23-Jul-16 08:23:33

I doubt they are gong to cooperate. Your lease should state how much notice you need to give for access for repairs etc. You will need a court order and to instruct bailiffs if they fail to leave on 8th.

olympicfan Sat 23-Jul-16 12:23:30

OMG!!

We had a phone call from the downstairs tenant at 10am to say they are moving the sofa out.

I jumped in the car and headed round there as all phone calls to tenant said 'this number can no longer be connected.'

When i got there, there is a white van being filled with their stuff and another man helping whilst tenant throws the content of the flat out the top window...nice. I asked if I could come in to have a look. He let me in... oh lord, it is no longer spotless. What a mess they have made. Marks all over the walls, plaster off etc.

He said he will give us the keys back on Monday when they have tidied up. I said, don't worry I'll wait and clean up myself. Can I have the keys back at 1pm.

I am about to walk back to the flat. All the neighbours are on stand-by... I think they are planning a party tonight. If they go and no keys are given back, I'm getting the locks changed!

I have had to cancel our wedding anniversary meal with family... 22 years today for us, 50 years today for mum and (late) dad, 72 years today for late grandparents and 95 years today for late Gr Grandparents. TBH this is the best present. Meal rescheduled for tomorrow.

Bailey101 Sat 23-Jul-16 14:53:37

Be careful changing the locks if you don't have any in writing from them about moving out. They can claim that you changed the locks before a proper eviction was done and you could end with with a load of trouble for an inlawdul eviction.

JoandMax Sat 23-Jul-16 15:05:20

Yes you need something in writing to confirm they have vacated the property willingly otherwise they could claim you did it unlawfully and you'll be in a whole heap of trouble.....

olympicfan Sat 23-Jul-16 17:07:42

At 1pm I went back to the flat to find the door ajar and them gone. All keys on the side in the kitchen, a mattress leaned against the bedroom wall with a message scribbled over it in felt tip pen...'please take me away' , 2 bags of rubbish, 2 x broken chest of drawers, broken flat screen TV and a tumble dryer. The neighbours came up with me and sympathised but we were all joyous. Neighbour even fixed the leak!

I never expected this. What a difference 12 hours makes. He will probably go on to rip someone else off, fare dodge, and ignore court demands. They were complete crooks.

Spent the afternoon scrubbing marks off walls, cleaning the carpet and cleaning out cupboards. We are off to a nice restaurant tonight... double celebration!

JoandMax Sun 24-Jul-16 05:29:27

Sounds like our tenants, they left everythg in a state after not paying rent for months on end......

Not to be doom and gloom though but even though our keys were also left in the property our solicitor still advised getting written confirmation (either letter or email) that they have vacated and ended the tenancy

MaitlandGirl Sun 24-Jul-16 06:02:07

Have a look on landlordzone - it sounds as if the tenant has abandoned the property.

www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/abandonment

GRW Sun 24-Jul-16 08:33:50

I would be inclined to change the locks in case they have had keys cut and kept them. What a nightmare.

olympicfan Sun 24-Jul-16 15:59:31

Thanks Maitland girl... really useful. They left keys, the neighbours all witnessed the moving out and heard them say 'We've got to go before they come.' They are obviously running away from something.

Bought all the neighbours a bottle of wine today. They were really touched, but it was the least we could do.

The keys that were returned are ones that can only be cut by Yale with a code that we are in possession of.

They have lived in the flat for free- paying no rent, water or council tax. The electricity was on a key. At least they had to pay one thing. I went to the meter cupboard today only to find that Eon changed the meter on 19.4.16 to a paper bill meter. How they managed to persuade Eon to do that without our permission, I have no idea. Unless they said they were the owners/landlord. Will be in touch with Eon tomorrow. The tenants have our bank details to pay their rent directly into our bank, I wonder if they gave our bank details?

The plot thickens. We will definitely pursue the possession order via the courts. We have no forwarding address, we have NI number, passport number and NHS number so can be traced when re registering with a doctor (girlfriend, joint tenant is pregnant). What a way to live.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 24-Jul-16 16:04:50

Seriously - imagine the stress!

olympicfan Sun 24-Jul-16 16:33:16

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity#try

Apparently, as of April 2016 energy companies will switch tenants meters for free as long as they passed a credit check. I am amazed they did because the amount of debt and defaults they had and credit they were being turned down for was unreal.

It will be an interesting chat with Eon tomorrow.

LIZS Sun 24-Jul-16 16:43:03

I'd be concerned about potential debt issues. You really need forwarding info if possible. It would be horrible for future tenants to have to face unnecessary demands and threats of bailiffs.

LIZS Sun 24-Jul-16 16:43:07

I'd be concerned about potential debt issues. You really need forwarding info if possible. It would be horrible for future tenants to have to face unnecessary demands and threats of bailiffs.

olympicfan Sun 24-Jul-16 19:14:50

When tenants abandon properties they tend not to leave forwarding addresses or info.

However, the rubbish bag has provided us with a wealth of information and confirmation of: Bank account details (a thrown away statement), NI number and place of work (pay slips and recent signature for receiving goods at place of work), 3 previous addresses (one might be family as he said he lived with his grandparents), NHS and hospital number from a 'you did not attend a recent appointment' letter, up to date mobile number (on his Sky contract letter).

Scribblings found on the back of another train penalty fare notice shows they earned/claimed £2,160 in income between 1st-15th July. Lucky them!

I have collated the info and will provide the court, and all other agencies interested in pursuing them, with it.

Do credit checks, check just the person's credit history or an addresses credit history. Will future tenants be able to get credit from that address?

olympicfan Sun 24-Jul-16 19:52:28

That last sentence should have read:

Do credit checks just check the person's credit history or the credit history of an address?

milpool Sun 24-Jul-16 19:59:52

Only the person. Credit files are done on the individual, not the address.

What a nightmare!

Viviennemary Sun 24-Jul-16 20:00:27

What a nightmare. This is enough to put anybody off being a landlord. I agree with changing the locks in case they come back. What awful luck to for you to have ended up with this pair. You can still pursue them through the courts for damage. and non payment of rent.

olympicfan Mon 25-Jul-16 07:56:22

Investigating these two further last night, both have open facebook acccounts. This is what 'she' posted yesterday:

I'm one happy little bitch mmmmhmmmm 🤗🤗🤗and I love my gorgeous man for all he's done to move into our stunning new home and for giving me our princess baby. I love you (insert nightmare tenant's name) xxx 💕💕💕

Looks like they are up to the same thing again.

MaitlandGirl Mon 25-Jul-16 08:09:15

My BIL has an investment property (that we now live in) and his previous tenants were awful.

Unluckily for them we found out where they've moved to so we happily send the bailiffs and debt collectors to their new address.

When they left here we found out they've been evicted from every property they've ever rented! It amazes me how people can live like that.

LisaMed1 Mon 25-Jul-16 10:10:28

Courts will not trace people for you. They will only serve at an address provided by you.

olympicfan Mon 25-Jul-16 10:15:53

So we have to find out the new address?

LisaMed1 Mon 25-Jul-16 11:13:00

You have to give an address for service to the court. They will not do any tracing.

Are you taking it to court to make sure you have clear possession of the property or are you suing for unpaid rent? If you are suing then if they are not working, do not own much in the way of really hi-spec stuff (tvs etc seized by bailiffs and sold at auction rarely raise much and are usually not worth seizing) and live hand to mouth then you unlikely to be able to get money off them.

Sorry, you must be finding this incredibly stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now