Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Solicitor/Barrister Advice Please

(6 Posts)
kidsincharge Fri 15-Jul-16 12:18:58

Divorce acrimonious with complicated circumstances. Concern over legal team, previous advice given and acted on found out since did not need to take/do - went against preferred outcome but went with notion "they are experts and will know best." Similar situation occurring, have questioned barrister but get general legal response - question not answered specifically - option not given that could have altered course of action. Barrister now refusing to answer direct emails ( cc'd solicitor) all communication via solicitor - is this closing ranks or normal practise - makes whole process complicated and longwinded -already stressful.

Mumblechum0 Fri 15-Jul-16 14:57:56

I'm afraid that if you've instructed both a solicitor and a barrister, you need to go via the solicitor.

Could you be a bit more specific about what the issue is?

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 15-Jul-16 15:01:04

If the relationship with either professional has broken down the the extent that you don't trust their advice I would instruct a different firm.

verite Fri 15-Jul-16 16:25:45

Yes - if you had instructed a barrister through direct access (without a solicitor) then you can have direct contact. If the solicitor has instructed a barrister, then communications should be going through the solicitor. If you are not happy with the advice or representation, then you should be able to make a formal complaint to either the firm or chambers (or both) and then follow that through to their regulatory body if you are not happy with their responses.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 16-Jul-16 18:25:30

If you have a sol and barrister you should be going through the sol. The barrister is not likely to be happy giving advice for free on an ongoing basis.

babybarrister Sun 17-Jul-16 19:34:40

I agree - you should not expect to receive free legal advice. You need to deal with your solicitor if you wish to continue with this "team"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now