Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Still paying half the mortgage?

(8 Posts)
livelyredjellybean Tue 05-Jul-16 21:15:56

In December I moved out of the house I co-own with my exP. He still lives in the house. I have been paying half the mortgage since I left. He has paid his half and all other bills.
Does anyone know if I am actually obliged to pay half the mortgage? My circumstances have changed somewhat and I cannot really afford to keep doing this. I am going to call a solicitor and CAB but was wondering if any wise MNers know anything in this regard?
Thanks in advance.

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 05-Jul-16 21:17:38

My ex moved out and never paid another penny towards the mortgage. He was still entitled to half the money from the sale though.

Why are you paying it?

Terramirabilis Tue 05-Jul-16 21:24:46

If you co-own the house and therefore are presumably on the mortgage, I can't see the bank thinking you no longer need to pay. What needs to happen is for him to take on the whole mortgage and buy you out of the house (assuming that is even possible) or for you both to sell the house and split the profits (maybe with involvement from solicitors if there's any concern you might not get an equitable deal otherwise.) You don't say what your ex's attitude is, but certainly he cannot expect you to continue paying for a house you don't live in.

Fourormore Tue 05-Jul-16 21:24:55

Yes, you are legally obliged to ensure the mortgage repayments are kept up to date. If you're paying half the mortgage then your ex should be paying you rent to live in "your half" of the house. Most people agree that the two just cancel eachother out and the person staying in the house takes over the mortgage.

livelyredjellybean Wed 06-Jul-16 06:42:12

My ex's attitude is not good. I paid initially on the agreement that he would continue to do work so we could put it on the market, around april/may. This has not happened. We are in discussions about him buying me out but this is not going well! Thanks for your advice guys.

StereophonicallyChallenged Mon 18-Jul-16 17:07:09

WhatsgoingonEh, I'm going through the same but all ex's 'half' of the mortgage are being deducted from his half of the value...

I'd reckon you had rubbish advice/solicitor there sorry.

Lively, if you keep paying half and push for a quick buy-out or sale you will be in the best position you can be.

StereophonicallyChallenged Mon 18-Jul-16 17:08:14

AAARGHH Old thread sorry! Came up in my active convos weirdly confused

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 18-Jul-16 19:13:10

I'd reckon you had rubbish advice/solicitor there sorry.

I agree! I certainly didn't get much money out of it. :-( But I did get enough to get a deposit on a new place, so technically it all worked out. But if I could turn back the clock, I'd play a LOT more hardball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now