Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

concerned for elderly relative

(6 Posts)
BetteDavis01 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:27:50

I have a relative, an elderly man in his 80s, who is my second cousin ( I think) he is a bachelor, never married, no kids, only child.

He has lived alone all his life and he lives locally to me. I have always visited him about once a fortnight. Last year he got very sick and was admitted to hospital for months, thankfully he made a recovery and returned home, although he was left very frail.

It is at this point that his next door neighbour steps into the situation and begins doing cleaning & running errands for him. I offer to do all this for him, but he says No, I'm ok.

He's now back in hospital, very weak and he tells me that his neighbour has power of attorney. I'm concerned. I'm suspicious of her, she is very stand off ish around me and defensive. I've been nothing but polite to her.

I'm worried that she has taken advantage of him, but I've got no proof. What can I do? If anything? TIA.

VulcanWoman Wed 29-Jun-16 14:38:20

I can understand why you'd be concerned. Could you get some legal advice?

BetteDavis01 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:40:15

Yes not sure where to turn. I've really been 'pushed out'. It's all very convenient

VulcanWoman Wed 29-Jun-16 15:50:13

I'd get in touch with a solicitor ASAP.

Melfish Wed 29-Jun-16 16:03:12

The Office of the Public Guardian oversee power of attorney applications and attorneys themselves. I am one and before I was appointed, the OPG informed at least 2 other people(interested parties) of the application, usually relatives.
link to check who the attorney is- looks like you complete a form and it's free.

Auti Wed 29-Jun-16 18:28:12

My DH's uncle who lived alone, bachelor and all that.

DH and I were convinced he was a high functioning autistic. I have Aspergers so I recognise one of my own.

DH's uncle was brilliant academically and a high earner. However socially he was very vulnerable.

A woman who played him, gained 1000's off him.
He told us that she used to hit him. But he still defended her. sad
DH's family always thought she was a gold digger.

DH's uncle died suddenly and unexpectedly last year at the age of 67.

He had made no will so the estate passed to his siblings.

If he had been frail, I have no doubt that woman would have taken all she could.
She turned up to his funeral in a car DH's Uncle had bought her. hmm

OP I would consult a solicitor ASAP to protect your cousin and your position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now