Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Please Help ex trying to get my house

(12 Posts)
user1466253285 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:58:35

Hi All,
Please can anyone help. Im at my wits end & dont know what to do.

I split up with my partner 6 months ago following years or mental torture & him cheating constantly. He is also a drug addict & has physically assaulted me in the past. We were never marriage or have any children.

All of the above led me to having a breakdown which im currently having treatment for.

I currently own the house i live in & a buy to let property. Both of the properties are in my name and i have always paid the mortgage/bills etc.

He has gone to a solicitor who have wrote to me saying they are going to apply to the Land Registry to register his interest in the two houses and he wants me to attend mediation.

Can he do this? How can he register an interest when the houses are not his. I need to sell the house im living in as its too big form me to cope with. Will it stop me selling it?

Im going out of my mind & my head is in a really dark place right now. After everything hes done hes now trying to take my houses.

Can anyone help?

2nds Sat 18-Jun-16 14:02:08

If you are in the UK In short no, he can't claim your property if his name is not on the property deeds.

RNBrie Sat 18-Jun-16 14:05:37

Are you married to him?

Berthatydfil Sat 18-Jun-16 14:06:39

He may have told them he has financially contributed or is somehow it is your financial obligation to support or house him.
I can't see if he has no financial ties to you and he didn't pay towards the houses that he can claim this.
However you must go to a solicitor for advice - take bank statements etc to prove he has no claim.

2nds Sat 18-Jun-16 14:06:43

BTW I think he can make a claim if he can prove he paid into the house, like if he paid for repairs or paid bills? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can come along, but I think you are in a good position.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 18-Jun-16 14:08:33

If he can prove that he has a financial interest into the house, i.e. paying the mortgage, funding repairs and improvements etc he might be able to - but he would need paperwork to prove it.

CodyKing Sat 18-Jun-16 14:08:40

Has he made any contribution in terms of up keep or maintenance?

Seems odd otherwis!

Can you speak to a solicitor?

user1466253285 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:15:51

Thanks for all your quick replies.
No we are not married.

I have always paid the bills and mortgage. He used to give me a contribution of £500 p/m. For the last 3 years he was basically a lodger as our relationship had broke down so much. He beat me up on NYE, which was the final straw for me.

I am going to speak to a Solicitor on Monday.

Thanks Again.

OurBlanche Sat 18-Jun-16 14:23:32

Did you report the assault? Mediation wouldn't be recommended in cases with DV... and unless he has a whole bag load of proof he paid anything other than the usual living expenses he won't be able to claim anything.

If he gave you £500 that was his keep... he may be trying to argue that you 'kept' him when he was unemployed so you owe him that now... which anyone would laugh themselves silly at.

Your solicitor will be able to reassure you. Don't worry about it!

user1466253285 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:36:30

To be honest i dont think my mental state could handle having to see him face to face. Im under a psychiatrist trying to sort out my issues.

I changed my phone number to stop contacting me so now he emails me constantly. Im a bag of nerves & everytime he contacts me it sets me back.

I think the only thing he has are his bank statements showing the rent he paid me. When we split up he was demanding 20k off me as he said he'd given me 40k in the time we were together. I offered to give 5k to get him off my back as i was sick of him harrasing me. Stupidly i didnt report the assault i was in too much of a mess mentally its only now im finally getting my head together.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 18-Jun-16 15:52:59

If you aren't married, don't have children and he didn't put any money into the properties I can't see he'll have much luck. See a solicitor and try not to worry.

Berthatydfil Sat 18-Jun-16 17:11:52

I'm sure that £500 could be contribution to food other housekeeping bills council tax water rates etc and wouldn't be counted as paying your mortgage.
This is ridiculous - what's to stop lodgers or house shares going off and claiming the landlord house.
Please seek legal advice -mediation is supposed assist people getting to a settlement and avoid court but it isn't for everyone- I'm sure you can dismiss his claim as he has no evidence he contributed to the mortgage and you don't want face to face mediation due to a history of Dv against you. But you have to do it properly which will mean getting proper advice.
Perhaps try women's aid to recommend a good solicitor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now