Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What happens if you're taken to court for child access?

(5 Posts)
clashofclanswidow Thu 16-Jun-16 12:44:14

Advice needed please...

Fed up of trying to be reasonable with my ex-partner now, it's draining!

We have 2 DD's. Youngest is less than 3 weeks old. (He left me 20 weeks pregnant)

Only paid me maintenance for DD1 and not taken into account DD2. Said it's the same amount...but he hasn't calculated it correctly.

When I tried to speak to him today (amongst other things) he said that he basically wouldn't pay extra as he wasn't having her overnight yet and that was my fault?

When I said it is his responsibility to still provide for her and if he couldn't agree to pay any more then I would have to claim it instead...he threatened me (again) with court.

I'm sick of this now...court is his answer to everything!

So I would just like some advice if I can...from start to finish...what actually happens when someone wants to take you to court for access?

I don't think it will come to it but would rather know what the steps are, just in case it does as it might end up being the only way forward. I can't put up with his stupid threats anymore!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 16-Jun-16 12:53:13

He would need to file a c1. Very easy and straightforward

Then you'll prob get a referral to mediation

None of it is free..... But you will need to keep maintenance issues separate, not to be discussed in court

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 16-Jun-16 13:39:26

I would go to CMS about maintenance and let a third party sort it out for you.

SlapACatFuckADuck Thu 16-Jun-16 15:51:40

Go to CMS for child maintenance asap.

Court isn't as scary as people think.

He'll issue papers, you'll get a copy. You'll have to attend mediation first if nothing can be resolved there it'll go to court.

Your first date will simply be to see if you can sort anything yourself, and what your positions is. They'll schedule for a second hearing where you'll argue your points/show any evidence and the judge will then weigh up what's been said and give an order. May take longer than 1 hearing depending on what's being asked/accused ect

SlapACatFuckADuck Thu 16-Jun-16 16:17:26

Go to CMS for child maintenance asap.

Court isn't as scary as people think.

He'll issue papers, you'll get a copy. You'll have to attend mediation first if nothing can be resolved there it'll go to court.

Your first date will simply be to see if you can sort anything yourself, and what your positions is. They'll schedule for a second hearing where you'll argue your points/show any evidence and the judge will then weigh up what's been said and give an order. May take longer than 1 hearing depending on what's being asked/accused ect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now