Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Attending magistrates court

(5 Posts)
cowan2222 Wed 15-Jun-16 21:32:39

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for advice from anyone that has been in the same position as me or knows about the legal system. I am due in court next month for a two day trial, I have been charged with affray, assaulting police officer and resisting arrest. I have pleaded not guilty to the affray and guilty for the other two. The assault on police officer is only for grabbing him them and we both fell over and resisting arrest was just not getting in the van. I pleaded not guilty to the affray as I was attacked in a bar which ended by the attacked getting kicked out by the doorman, but when I was going they were all waiting for me and my brother outside, the only video evidence shows me and my brother attacking them when really it was in my eyes attack them before they attack me again. Any advice on this is much appreciated, I'm not sure if I could get a prison term or not? I have been recently out of work but back in now( self employed) legal aid refused and cannot afford solicitor fees because I've been out of work. Also new baby here and partner is on maternity. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

concertplayer Thu 16-Jun-16 09:53:49

You need a solicitor. It is your right and it is covered by Legal Aid as you are a defendent in a criminal case.
I am very surprised the police did not offer you a duty sols when you were in the p station- they usually do. How did you decide your plea/s without legal advice?
A solicitor is useful as they look at all the evidence and can challenge on your behalf.Sorry but this all sounds a bit odd to me

cowan2222 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:56:16

Yes I had a solicitor when I was in the police station and for the plea, but legal aid was refused and I wasn't even given a reason by legal aid as to why it was refused. i have been out of work and therefore don't have enough money to pay the solicitor that I previously had.

concertplayer Thu 16-Jun-16 11:48:11

Bar Pro Bono unit on the web can help with legal rep with only 2 days to go
you re cutting things fine but do contact them

cowan2222 Thu 16-Jun-16 16:03:01

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now