Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Should/could I take this to court, or should I cut losses?

(7 Posts)
WhingySquirrel Wed 15-Jun-16 16:30:30

I have been doing a 'job' for a friend. I am self-employed and have done similar things before. It's to do with a piece of land he wanted to sell, I've done some assent work on it, liaised with people on his behalf, driven to the land to meet other owners, I can go into more detail if necessary.

If he employed a company to do this, he would have to pay more than double what I am charging. On such a thing, I charge 10% of the sale price, once sold.
It has been going on for months has this, It's a difficult case for various reasons.

A relative of the friend has now telephoned me and said they want all paperwork back and want to deal with it themselves. I do not know the details but I suspect they think that I am incompetent because of the length of time it is taking. I have not been concentrating solely on it as I do other work too however most of the time taken has been out of my control, waiting for people to get back to me, waiting for things confirming, needing extra details off friend first, etc.

I have spent a lot of time, petrol etc on this task and I am feeling like I don't want to just not be paid anything at all for it.

I use a solicitor for other aspects of my work but I am wondering is this even worth talking to them about? Or should I just let it go?

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Jun-16 16:31:39

Do you have a contract?

WhingySquirrel Wed 15-Jun-16 16:35:22

Yes I have. I've got an actual contract and also other things in writing that explain the price and what is included in it.

CuntingDMjournos Wed 15-Jun-16 22:54:41

What does you contract say about him dis instructing you

whydidhesaythat Wed 15-Jun-16 23:05:35

If your contract really doesnt cover it you must write to the client to tell him what £ you want

WhingySquirrel Wed 15-Jun-16 23:51:21

Yes the contract only specifies monies on sale. It's almost finished now which is really annoying as I have done all the grunt work-all's that's left is maybe a couple of telephone calls.
Thanks all.

Creampastry Thu 16-Jun-16 06:51:25

Have you issued an invoice yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now