Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

reversed into bollard/post

(7 Posts)
ichoosesleep Tue 07-Jun-16 18:33:58

Do I have to ring or tell anyone? It was in a council car park. It's made the bollard a bit wobbly but not dinted it or anything just the car that has a small bump and black grazing. There is cctv so I'm worried il get into trouble if I don't ring someone ?

prh47bridge Tue 07-Jun-16 18:56:02

If it is a public car park, i.e. one that anyone can use, you must report the accident to the police since you have damaged the bollard (assuming it wasn't wobbly before you hit it).

ichoosesleep Tue 07-Jun-16 19:57:51

What would happen if I didn't report it blush and could I not just claim it was wobbly beforehand ?

caroldecker Tue 07-Jun-16 20:13:55

from citizen's advice:

If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

Failure to report can lead to:
Each offence can result in an instant driving ban, but in normal circumstances, you should expect a means tested fine up to £2,500 and between 5 and 10 penalty points. In extremely serious cases, punishment can include community service, a curfew order or a prison sentence.

PlectrumElectrum Tue 07-Jun-16 21:05:07

I had a similar case recently with a person claiming they'd reversed into a lamp post - you are supposed to report any collision with a lamp post/street furniture to the relevant LA dept responsible for repairs - you'll likely be charged for the repair costs, or they'll claim directly from your motor insurer. (I'm not a lawyer, I deal with ins fraud).

If you are identified on the CCTV they'll contact you and/or your insurers if they get it repaired. Depends on how frequently they inspect their property & if they still have the CCTV footage when the damage is discovered.

You could leave it to fate or be upfront about it. Your decision smile

ichoosesleep Wed 08-Jun-16 09:45:26

I've decided to see what happens confused

Cherylene Thu 16-Jun-16 14:24:30

Do you know if it was not wobbly beforehand? It is possible it gets reversed into frequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now