Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car Finance

(7 Posts)
skittycat Fri 03-Jun-16 19:16:13


Recently split up with a partner. Car finance (hire purchase) was taken out approx 1.5 years ago on a car for myself. This finance is solely in my ex partners name - neither my name or signature is on any documents.

Now we have split up, who is legally liable for paying this finance? Is my ex partner in a position where he can simply have the car removed from myself whenever he chooses?

Thanks in advance.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 03-Jun-16 19:20:36

Unless someone who knows better comes along to correct me, it sounds like it's legally his car - the finance is in his name and so are the documents.
Have you discussed the car with him?

IceMaiden73 Fri 03-Jun-16 19:23:52

I agree it sounds like the car is legally his, so yes he can do what he likes with it

skittycat Fri 03-Jun-16 19:29:37

It has been vaguely discussed, but unfortunately he has proven himself to be untrustworthy on numerous occasions so I am trying to work out my best options.

I am assuming that I cannot be chased for money if he does not make the payments, but that the car could be repossessed?

Rockchick1984 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:59:40

You've got 2 options really - you take over paying the finance (directly, don't just give him the money) or give him the car and let him do what he wants with it. You couldn't expect him to keep paying for it while you keep driving it!

skittycat Sat 04-Jun-16 12:56:09

Just to clarify, I currently (and always have) paid him the money for the car, (so I pay the exact amount he pays the finance company each month) I have no intention of still driving it around and him paying for it.
Unfortunately the finance company will not let me take over the finance, so need to figure out the best course of action.

Rockchick1984 Sun 05-Jun-16 00:27:30

Is it a PCP deal - where at the end of the term you can hand the car back or pay a lump sum to keep it? If so, I'd personally keep paying it then hand back at the end of the term.

You don't need to officially take over the finance, you can tell him to contact the finance company and just change the direct debit to come from your account, the finance will still be in your name.

If it's just a loan where the car belongs to him once the finance is repaid, you would be far better to ask him to get a settlement figure, and you can get a loan elsewhere so you can keep the car and repay the finance in full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now