Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

filing for divorce

(7 Posts)
GettingScaredNow Wed 18-May-16 09:18:07


I am trying to get a CAB appt. but in the mean time I am filling in my divorce papers and want to file ASAP.

My nearest centre is Bury St Edmunds according to

My questions are simple:
Do I post the file with a cheque?
Do I take my petition in myself with a cheque? Or pay credit card at the counter?

The website isn't clear and the centre phones don't start til 10am.

Any info to go forward on would be greatly appreciated

MrsBertBibby Wed 18-May-16 10:16:47

You can post it (three sets) with a cheque. No need to attend at the counter.

GettingScaredNow Wed 18-May-16 11:08:14

Thank you.
I will do so ASAP.

Do you know roughly how long it takes to serve him with a copy?

GettingScaredNow Wed 18-May-16 12:31:42

Are these adequate reasons:

Constant and unresolved arguments

Inability to resolve financial conflicts

Constant Name calling

Constant accusations of adultery

Secretly installing a GSM spy bug in a living room mains socket

Do I need more detail?

I'm inclined not to go into heavy details and state the nasty stuff as I think he won't sign it, out of principal but the above is reasonable (except the last which is shocking!)

Familylawsolicitor Thu 19-May-16 23:38:04

Post three copies in total with a cheque made payable to HMCTS
Don't forget you must send an original marriage certificate too.
Bury St Edmunds are taking about 2-3 weeks to process new petitions and send them out at present.
You can send a blank email to and you'll get an auto response with current processing times info which is always worth checking before you ring them to chase

The reasons are fine. Advice is to keep as mild as possible - judges let very mild reasons through nowadays

Make sure the names at the bottom of page 2 are EXACTLY as written on the marriage certificate (spelling errors and all - not unknown). And the place of marriage.
If the certificate says "St Mary's church in the parish of Anywhere in the County of Norfolk"
Write the whole thing on the petition not just "St Mary's"
This is the top reason for petitions getting rejected and it will delay you for weeks and weeks

GettingScaredNow Fri 20-May-16 15:33:26

Thanks Family

My understanding is, if he wants to disagree then he will have to pay the £245?
And then what happens? Am I dragged into court?
So I need representation at that stage?

Familylawsolicitor Fri 20-May-16 18:36:21

He'd have to file an answer but defending is very very rare. people often say they will defend on the acknowledgement form but don't then actually file the papers to do so and you can then go ahead after some time. If he gets any legal advice he'll be very strongly told not to defend and that it's pointless and a huge waste of costs so I'd be very surprised if he did defend. I maybe issue or acknowledge a petition once or twice a week and have seen maybe 2 defended divorces in the last 10 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now