Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help!!! removal company damaged goods!

(22 Posts)
SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 14-May-16 21:46:13

I hired a removal company whom quoted me £240 to move, he came and inspected me and told me it would take 3 hours 4 max at an 80ph if it goes over 3. he wrote down what big stuff we had and that id have 30-40 boxes. When they arrived they showed me the inventory and said there was no boxes to be moved they were expecting just to haul the big stuff.

In the end it took them 6 hours and 2 trip because they weren't prepared for the boxes. We received a phone call from the man whom gave us the quote practically shouting saying it shouldn't of taken that long he didn't understand why I was holding them up and he wants an extra £60. I told him I didn't think that was fair due to the men not being told what was to be moved properly and he told me I was being devious!

Due to it taking two trips this phone call happened whilst they weren't there, once they arrived with the second lot this is where the issues started. They had a hard time getting the fridge in (American side by side) they bashed it against the doors chipping paint and scratching it, ripped the carpet getting it in and pulled it up out the carpet gripper so it's now a tripping hazard, pulled half the upstairs landing carpet up leaving carpet grippers exposed, bent in half the grill for the BBQ, dismantles the garden table and didn't put it back, broken dishes, didn't put boxes in the right place (what I paid for) broke my sons wardrobe and lied about it ( saying the top needed to be screwed on when in fact they'd pushed the back through, and broke the supporting beam and it nearly fell on my son!vand then left without telling me leaving the front door wide open!

When I spoke to them about it they've turned round and said if the men who moved me don't admit to it tough luck! What can I do about this it highly seems fair that they've damaged my stuff and they're wanting another £40 from me (I paid the £20 over the phone for the £60 and the men where suppose to take the £40 but left) any advice?

FuzzyOwl Sat 14-May-16 21:51:35

A legitimate and decent removal company will give you a quote for the move and that will be it. They will also have insurance you can claim on for any damages. This guy sounds quite unpleasant but that doesn't stop him from being responsible for repairs - assuming he is insured. Otherwise I suppose you could go down the lengthy and potentially expensive route of the small claims court. Good luck.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 14-May-16 22:08:05

He has said he has insurance because I asked when he was saying tough luck. I don't know if this email is okay to send incase it gets to that and then I'll have a paper trail

Dear sir

After speaking to you today (14/5/16) and yesterday (13/5/16) I'm putting it in writing the series of damages to my property with the photo evidence you suggested I take.

I understand you can not contact the 3 men who moved me till Monday 16th May 2016 which is fine, I do understand you're doing everything you can to resolve this and i do understand it was an accident however it isn't acceptable.

The damages are;

- They had a hard time getting the fridge in (American side by side) they bashed it against the doors chipping paint and scratching the fridge.

- ripped the carpet in the kitchen and pulled it up out the carpet gripper so it's now a tripping hazard

- pulled half the upstairs landing carpet up leaving carpet grippers exposed very dangerous when I have a 4 year old and a 11 month old crawling son.

- bent the grill for the new BBQ

- dismantled the garden table and didn't put it back

- broken new casserole dish.

- didn't put boxes in the right place despite being told where to put them and what I was told would happen on the phone by a lady I spoke to, eg. clothes in the conservatory, beds splits between all 3 bedrooms.

- broke my sons wardrobe and lied about it ( saying the top needed to be screwed on when in fact they'd pushed the back through, and broke the supporting beam which nearly fell on my son (as confirmed by you it was okay to remove the wardrobe from my spam room due to being "unrepairable" and dangerous.

- left without telling me leaving the front door wide open!

Here are the photos of the damage

I'd that okay?

FuzzyOwl Sat 14-May-16 22:10:53

That sounds fine. I would add a sentence at the end saying you look forward to hearing from him by a certain date, just to put a timescale on the response. Hopefully he sees sense and reimburses you.

It might also be worth considering getting a statement from the previous owners or letting agency/landlord to confirm the condition of the property before you moved in.

LIZS Sat 14-May-16 22:14:04

I wouldn't bother with the detail. Estimate cost of replacements/damage and ask him to forward the relevant claim documents. Are the company registered to the relevant association and did you sign any paperwork. Rushing is not an excuse for damage.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 14-May-16 22:19:03

Lizs how would I find out if they're registered to the association?i didn't sign anything!! I wouldn't even know how to get an estimate to repair the rip in the kitchen floor! Would they be able to do a patch or the whole thing?

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 07:18:32

http://www.bar.co.uk

Are they listed? Did they carry the logo on their vans? How did you find them ? It seems very odd that you didn't sign any paperwork. You need to know what their insurance covers , is it new for old replacement or take into account wear and tear and age. Start with a quote for replacement flooring.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sun 15-May-16 15:19:59

No they're not listed, the were recommend by the other party we swapped with as they're a local charity (Jacob wells). No paper work was signed by either of us.

gallicgirl Sun 15-May-16 15:25:43

I have to say I think £240 is incredibly cheap for what you were expecting them to do. I hope you get a resolution in your favour but I wouldn't hold my breath.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sun 15-May-16 18:55:41

Surely it shouldn't matter the price, due to being a charity it's a set price per hour for everyone, you still don't expect them to break your stuff!

prh47bridge Sun 15-May-16 19:07:31

Surely it shouldn't matter the price

No it doesn't.

SlapACatFuckADuck Mon 16-May-16 19:21:22

Have spoken to them again today, she told me I have to put it in writing which I told her I did. She said they'll respond within 7 days So they can investigate but they keep mentioning they're a charity organisation.

She told me I shouldn't of spoken to the man as he doesn't deal with complaint

If I need to take this to court how much will it cost? Roughly

Choughed Mon 16-May-16 21:49:16

You are bonkers to move without checking out the company and without having a written contract. £240 is cheap as chips so I'm not surprised that they were crap.

SlapACatFuckADuck Mon 16-May-16 23:02:00

Choughed The company had plenty of good reviews, even word of mouth. They came round and did a quote, wrote down exactly what I had and how many boxes I would have and said he'd put it in writing, he emailed a friend their quote and list of goods.

Thank you for your utterly unhelpful comment!

Choughed Mon 16-May-16 23:13:39

But you didn't have a contract or any idea of their insurance arrangements. No one "expects" things to be damaged but moving is hazardous and accidents do happen. Even with reputable companies.

I moved with a big national chain and had exactly the same problem, they underestimated the size of the job and damaged a wardrobe. Difference was I had a contract with details of their insurance scheme. I paid £2k to move, but that was a fraction of the value of my stuff. Totally worth it.

prh47bridge Mon 16-May-16 23:39:01

But you didn't have a contract

Yes the OP did have a contract. She paid the removals company to move her possessions and they moved them. That was the contract. It doesn't have to be written.

The removals company is required to exercise reasonable skill and care. If they did not do so the OP is entitled to compensation for the damage they caused.

SlapACatFuckADuck Tue 17-May-16 00:53:40

Thank you prh

I didn't have 2k to move, unlike you as a single parent of two under 5 it would take years to save that much and I had 2 weeks!! they have insurance or so they say so I will claim!

SlapACatFuckADuck Fri 20-May-16 13:03:43

UPDATE

I have spoken to the removal company who have informed me it's all hearsay! They have denied causing any damage to the property and basically tough shit.

They are refusing to tell me whom their insurers are when asked she even called me a stupid girl.. She's told me they've conducted a full investigation in 3 days spoken to the 3 men whom have said they didn't do anything even though I witnessed them doing it!

She then told me I wasn't allowed to contact them again as it was harassment as I had called them twice (the first time he told me to call her back! as she wasn't in)

What do I do now?

prh47bridge Fri 20-May-16 16:41:54

Ignore their talk of harassment.

You write to them pointing out that they have failed to exercise reasonable skill and care. You give them a deadline to provide compensation. You tell them that if they fail to do so you will take legal action.

SlapACatFuckADuck Fri 20-May-16 16:44:17

How long would be sufficient to wait until I take legal action?

I'm also on benefits, so how much roughly would it take someone I spoke to mentioned no win no fee? is that a thing? I also had no pre-contractual agreement which TS said was illegal?

thank you prh

prh47bridge Fri 20-May-16 17:43:33

I would suggest giving them 4 weeks from the date of the letter to respond. Which? has a template letter you could adapt here.

You don't need a lawyer for this. Assuming you are claiming less than £10,000 (and assuming you are in England) this would be a small claim. That means you wouldn't be able to claim your legal costs from the other side even if you won. You should represent yourself if it gets as far as a hearing.

The court costs depend on how much you are claiming. It starts at £25 for a claim of less than £300 lodged online. You can claim court costs from the other side if you win.

Not sure who TS is. There is no legal requirement for a pre-contract agreement for house removals. The absence of one will not affect your claim.

SlapACatFuckADuck Fri 20-May-16 18:04:48

Okay I'll look at the letter and start typing one out.

Okay that's good should I get a quote on the cost of a new carpet?

TS - Trading Standards I'm glad it won't effect my claim. Thank you for all the help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now