Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

My fathers will

(8 Posts)
jollygoose Fri 06-May-16 16:03:44

My elderly dad has just died and I have his will in my possession, it names my db and myself as executors and we are also the sole benefactors of the estate, the will also says that he would like Messrs .... solicitors to be employed in connection with this. The solicitors named no longer exist so I was wondering do we have to have a solicitor or can we do it ourselvesAny advice much appreciated - it is not a large sum if that makes any difference.

whatevva Fri 06-May-16 16:33:10

We have done it for MIL (who did several elderly relatives). Most of it is admin stuff, but we needed a solicitor to help with conveyancing and to explain the setting up of a trust (and HMRC for the tax situation. PIA).

You need the Which Guide to Wills and Probate.

Roussette Fri 06-May-16 16:33:36

Do try and do it yourself if you can, Solicitors charge a huge amount to administer a Will and if it's a fairly simple one, you should be able to do it.

Also, despite your Dad saying he would like a certain Practice, that is just a request and if you had to get someone, you can choose who, especially as they are no longer around.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, hope it wasn't too much of a shock.

jollygoose Fri 06-May-16 18:51:05

thank you both I am going to try and do it myself I had thought that him mentioning solicitors I would have to follow, the house was already sold as dad was in nursing home which is why not large amount left, I still have to pay for another 30 days which is the time I have to remove his belongings.

hilbil21 Fri 06-May-16 19:06:59

My mum had a house and about 11k in savings. I've used a lawyer but if there had been no house I would have done it myself

Roussette Fri 06-May-16 19:32:19

I think you can get solicitors involved for small parts but (going from experience) I would not get one if it was all fairly simple. Google is your friend! Hope it works out OK

MissBattleaxe Fri 06-May-16 19:35:22

Please accept my condolences.

I was in the same position and I managed to do everything myself. I only used a solicitor to sell the house. You will probably need a Grant of Probate and you do not need to let a solicitor do this, although you can swear the oath in front of a solicitor for a small nominal fee without going to The Interview Venue. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

mountaintoclimb Fri 06-May-16 19:40:25

I did it myself, only using a conveyancer to sell my dm's holiday chalet. Applying for probate was simple and straightforward as her estate was only worth just £75000.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now