Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Was it a mistake putting a claim in against my hairdresser?

(12 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 05-May-16 19:49:24

Long story shory, I had my hair coloured back in March. I asked if I needed a patch test (have been using this salon for a number of years not had one), was reassured I didnt need one as Ive been dying my hair many different colours for years and had no reaction (yes I feel like an idiot now).
Then boom! Had a severe allergic reaction which resulted in my head swelling (it was horrendous), weeping blisters all over my scalp and breathlessness (ended up being taken by ambulance to A and E as I couldnt breathe.
It was horrendous. I am (among other things) now still suffering with paranoia about using beauty products and I burst into tears when I think about how awful it was. How much it hurt how I couldnt bring myself to look at myself in a mirror for ages.
So, long story short I felt angry that my life had been put in danger in this way, that they either had a disregard for my safety or massive ignorance about allergies so I contacted a solicitor.
My solicitor has had contacted them asking for their insurance details and they are just ignoring it. Theyve chased them but had no response. So they are just ignoring it.
If they dont cough up the info theres nothing my solicitor can do. So just by burying their head in the sand they are going to get away with it. They almost killed me and they are going to get away with it.
Was this just a huge mistake?

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Thu 05-May-16 19:52:13

If they don't provide Insurers details then get your solicitors to issue the claim directly on the salon owners... They'll soon pass on the details.

MadamDeathstare Thu 05-May-16 19:55:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Thu 05-May-16 19:57:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 05-May-16 20:01:02

I'll take a look at that madamdeathstare thank you.
It is absolutely about stopping this happening to anyone else, its massively shit and I wouldnt want anyone else to go through it (they still arent doing patch tests).
There is no professional body they have to be a member of, there is the hairdressers council but membership is voluntary.

noeuf Thu 05-May-16 20:11:55

Op I don't think there should be any issue with you suing for damages/compensation either.

I don't get the anti suing and dismissive stance on here of 'nobody died' so compensation isn't morally justified.

PuppyMonkey Thu 05-May-16 20:14:10

Local paper?

Tweet about it?

Facebook?

With pix?

Kelsoooo Thu 05-May-16 20:14:38

Wouldn't RIDDOR or COSHH be interested in this? (Vaguely thinking of my H&S training I apologise)

DeathByMascara Thu 05-May-16 20:14:56

Did you post a thread about this at the time? The details seem familiar. You should absolutely pursue this, I have no legal knowledge but ten ignoring your solicitor cannot be the end of the matter, there must be further steps that can be taken.

Kelsoooo Thu 05-May-16 20:17:58

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/when-do-i-report.htm

Think that means I was right. I'll ask my hubby when he comes down. He's a H+S expert

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 05-May-16 20:22:01

Puppy, Id thought about that but my mum is seriously ill so (Im ashamed to say), I kept it from her so I cant really go to the papers or go public with it or anything.
I did DeathbyMascara.
Thanks Kelsoooo I'll have a look. I really appreciate the help.

Nyancat Thu 05-May-16 20:28:45

Just get your solicitor to issue proceedings against then directly naming them as defendant. It's up to them whether they then pass it on to their insurers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now