Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parental Responsibility for a 16 yr old.

(4 Posts)
SarahE15 Thu 05-May-16 10:28:12

Can anyone please advice. My 16year old has bgeen fundraising a mission trip to Mexico with her school since last year and is due to go begining of August. We have only just been told by school she weill need both parents to sign a affadavit in front of a notary giving permission for her to go and land in America and cross the border into Mexico. My daughter was 4 when her dad (my ex husband left). She has had no contact or payment of money since. I have been with my present husband for 7 years (married for 3) she has had to message her dad via new girlfriend on facebook to ask if he will sign the papers he has told her only if he can see her. She does not want this to happend as she is doing her GCSE's and is extremely anxiou s and getting stressed. Basically he is blackmailing her. I keep being told we will have to seek legtal advice and it will cost a fotune that we do not have. Can she put a court order in to have him removed as having parental responsibility? When we divorced we never went to court about custody he just left (for other woman) and I raised our 5 children on my own. When she turned 16 this year she also changed her name via ded poll to my new married name as at the age she did not need his permission to do so.

Twitterqueen Thu 05-May-16 10:37:09

What does the school say? They must surely have had similar, previous issues like this? If she has changed her name to your new married name I would get your DH to sign tbh.

Collaborate Thu 05-May-16 10:41:12

PR can only be removed by the court from unmarried fathers.

So you can rule that one out.

She can apply for a declaration that she be permitted to leave the UK, or your present husband can apply for PR. You really need to know, though, what the Mexican authorities would accept, and this forum is not the place for asking that. The travel agent should be finding that out for you.

Familylawsolicitor Thu 05-May-16 20:41:56

You can put in for an application for a court order that your daughter has permission to travel to Mexico from the court as collaborate has mentioned. I would do so immediately because it may take time to be listed. Attach the facebook correspondence she has had with him and details of the trip.
It's a C100 form for a specific issue order for permission to leave the jurisdiction temporarily for a holiday.
Link to C100:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now