Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What options? Will it be worth it?

(4 Posts)
Stressbot3000 Wed 04-May-16 19:47:40

Wondering if anyone can advise.
Dh is a teacher. Got permanent job in September (first one since qualifying 6 years ago so finally we thought we had some security) Anyway long story short he lost his job after 5 weeks due to the ref from his previous school. After 6 months of union involvement we are waiting for an amended ref from the school last year (whose ref we believe lost him the job) which more accurately reflects the evidence of his time at the school.

What are the chances if pursuing it legally?

If this ref comes back amended to reflect the evidence then it should be good enough that had it been given in Sept he'd still be in a permanent job.
Instead he's been out of work (done some supply but not secure), we've had to budget like crazy and give things up, plus he's now decided to leave teaching (he has no idea what he can do and it's likely that it will substantially lower paid than teaching for several years at least)

The experience has been awful. Dh is low and lacks confidence, self esteem and has little self worth after what he's been through.
We have budgeted food, downgraded TV package, changed mobile contracts to sim only as we can't commit, unable to replace broken mobile phones (mine is cracked and dying), not booked holidays, parents have paid for trips as we couldn't justify the expense (family holiday and future family wedding paid for - expensive)
We wanted to have another child and the permanent job was the security but that's put on hold for a long while until Dh is back on track in life.
The stress in our marriage has been huge and we've come close to splitting several times.

We are lucky we have savings and we haven't dipped into them due to cutting back so much and family support, but there's so much we wanted to do. Not knowing how long Dh will be out of work and what pay he'll end up on in a new career means we just can't justify anything. Looking at the possible wages he could get means we won't be able to move house (which we wanted to do) as no one will loan us anything near what we could've got had he still been in that role.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 04-May-16 19:51:59

This is from the website

If the worker thinks they’ve been given an unfair or misleading reference, they may be able to claim damages in a court. The previous employer must be able to back up the reference, eg by supplying examples of warning letters.

Workers must be able to show that:

it’s misleading or inaccurate
they ‘suffered a loss’, eg a job offer was withdrawn

QuiteLikely5 Wed 04-May-16 19:52:56

QuiteLikely5 Wed 04-May-16 19:53:16

Looks like he would have a good case

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now