Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sale of property in which someone has died

(13 Posts)
hexidecimal Mon 02-May-16 16:04:52

Hi, just wondering if there are any conveyancing experts who could help please?

I'm thinking about selling my house but there may be an issue. Three years ago my DM sadly passed away in this house, she knew she was dying and wanted to die at home which she did, very peacefully.

I now want to sell the property but am unsure as to whether I need to disclose this information on the SPIF (I think that's right?) form or even if I should tell the estate agents before it gets to that stage so that they can make potential purchasers aware? Can anyone clarify my obligations please?

VulcanWoman Mon 02-May-16 16:09:30

No need to say anything honestly. Lots of people die at home.

insancerre Mon 02-May-16 16:12:32

I would have thought that most houses have had people die in them
I don't see the issue

hexidecimal Mon 02-May-16 16:35:36

Thanks for your replies.

It's been suggested to me that disclosing this might make a sale more difficult but I want to do the right thing.

sixinabed Mon 02-May-16 16:39:24

Not an expert, but if it was a requirement that could be very tricky for historic properties, or any Victorian terrace. Can't see why you would have to declare it as it has no bearing whatsoever on the bricks and mortar, which is what you're selling. It's not like a neighbour dispute that could actually affect the buyers. Ignorance is bliss

SmallBee Mon 02-May-16 16:41:09

I believe it's required in America (might be mistaken) but don't think it is required here.

heavenlypink Mon 02-May-16 16:41:38

There is a huge difference between dying (peacefully) at home and a violent and/or suspicious death. I don't think there is anyway potential buyers could find out - possibly neighbours might mention it but as my first point states it shouldn't be an issue. More people are choosing (wanting) to die at home and in the future I can see a big shift to it - just as it once was.

Penfold007 Mon 02-May-16 17:04:26

Many houses would have amazing stories if only we could listen, conception, birth and death being only three events that may have happened within their walls. There is know need to mention your mother to the EA. I'm sorry for your loss.

hexidecimal Mon 02-May-16 19:32:18

Thanks for all your replies and condolences. I've been feeling quite emotional about selling up and you've helped me to regain a bit of perspective.

VulcanWoman Mon 02-May-16 19:38:26

Hope all goes well with sale, you never know might be a weight lifted, a fresh start so to speak.

hexidecimal Tue 03-May-16 07:09:17

Thanks Vulcan, yes a fresh start is exactly what's needed.

specialsubject Tue 03-May-16 14:38:40

Say nothing, and anyone who asks is a tactless ghoul with primitive superstitions who doesn't deserve your house!

It is of no relevance to the sale.

LunaLoveg00d Thu 05-May-16 09:00:28

Would imagine if a potential buyer asked the direct question, you'd have to answer honestly.

But there is no need to volunteer the information without being asked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now