Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

car accident insurance query/what should I do ?

(9 Posts)
gingeroots Mon 18-Apr-16 13:46:25

I feel really stipid and at sea about this .

I touched a car when turning into a road before Christmas .I gave name and address etc ,I said I thought we could settle without going through insurance .There was no damage to my car .There was some damage to paintwork on her car - not dented or scrathched ,it looked like the paint hadn't " set " and it had rubbed off . She did say that the car had been resprayed a few months ago .

Her car is 16 year old Nissan Micra ,mine is a 10 year old Ford Focus

It took ages for other driver to contact me ,in fact I texted her in case she'd lost my details .

She came to see me in January ?february with a quote for £780 .She said she was surprised at the amount ,it was more than the car was worth .She was surprised that the bumper was deemed damaged .

We agreed she'd get more quotes and I sent her details of places .

She's recently come back to me with the orginal quote and 2 others ( verbal ) for about 600 each .

The quotes include replacing the back bumper which I honestly don't think I damaged - surely it would have caused some damage to my car ?

I feel I should say I've changed my mind and now think - as the estimates are so high - that we should go through insurers .But I worried that this is unethical because maybe the delay is so long that her insurers won't accept a claim ?

Should I offer her cash ? How much ?

I've looked online and can see that her car has been a cat c and cat d insurance write off before she bought it .Extensive damage is listed to the rear wheel arch which is where I damaged the paintwork .

Can anyone advise me ? Please .

Collaborate Mon 18-Apr-16 15:22:05

What is the write-off value of her car? That's the maximum it's worth.

gingeroots Mon 18-Apr-16 17:18:58

I don't know ,or know how to find out though I can check cost of purchasing a similar vehicle .

Thanks ,what you say makes sense .

SoupDragon Mon 18-Apr-16 17:22:36

Suggest she gets quotes from one of the companies who come and do damage repair at your home.

SecretSpy Mon 18-Apr-16 17:25:20

A 16yo Micra that's a previous write off would likely be worth less than that. I'd let the Insurance deal with it

BombadierFritz Mon 18-Apr-16 17:26:32

Ask her whether she'd rather go thro insurers but as her car is so old, they will probably not repair it. Has she thought about a replacement bumper from scrappies? Cost about 30;quid and easy to fit

peggyundercrackers Mon 18-Apr-16 17:28:15

tell her to go to a smart repairer to fix the paint. they will come out and fix it at house. given her car is 16 yr old if you went via the insurance her car would be written off and she would be given some money instead - she could buy the car back if she wanted to and used it without paint.

did you take any pics on your phone?

Longdistance Mon 18-Apr-16 17:28:16

A 16yo Micra, I'd give her a tenner for the wing mirrors grin

gingeroots Mon 18-Apr-16 22:01:13

Thank you for your input ,it's helpful '

I did suggest she get a quote from one of those mobilr body work firms ,but it was not taken up .

I think I'll suggest either we go through insurance or I'll offer £200 .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now