Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Nuisance neighbour

(3 Posts)
thecrab Tue 12-Apr-16 23:29:21

Not sure if this is the right place to post...

My husband and i have been privately renting our flat for four years now, our neighbour has been a pain since day one. We think he has mental health issues which he doesn't help by smoking weed. He used to shout non stop most days out of his flat window to passer bys (second floor flat) or shout at us walking past his door (he'd be inside), he shouts weird things that make no sense hence why we think he has an illness. But I've never really felt afraid of him.

Recently he has calmed down but the smoking hasn't, the smell gets everywhere! It stinks. We have to line our front door with towels to keep the smell out. We put air freshener on in the hallway.

Over the years I have complained to the police, the property manager and my estate agent. They can't do anything, the only person that can is his landlord whom the manager says he has contacted at least three times.

Today my neighbour came out of his flat to shout at me and my sister whilst we were leaving and with our children. He did it twice, he never usually opens the door for confrontations. Needless to say I don't feel safe and his confrontation was completely unprovoked and just gibberish. My sister called the police, they said we needed to make logs from now on. The police are aware of this neighbour as we aren't the only ones complaining.

We can't afford to move but we can't live here much longer.

What can I do?! I can't go on emergency housing with the council? We apparently earn too much. I'm afraid I'm going to end up on the news as someone who logged complaints about someone with a mental illness and ended up hacked to death because nobody did anything.

I'm rambling, I need sleep but my anxiety is too high!

Collaborate Wed 13-Apr-16 08:27:00

Contact the social services mental health team (might have their name wrong - but there will be a department that helps adults with mental health problems).

Sounds like he needs help more than the attention of the police.

thecrab Wed 13-Apr-16 20:27:45

Thank you, whenever we call the police we always mention that we believe he has mental health issues. Just hoping they'd know what to do and who to call. I'll look into that now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now