Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Cohabitation agreements and assets

(2 Posts)
Derbyday Tue 05-Apr-16 17:33:55

My DP might be moving in to my house soon. I own the house with a mortgage and have 2DC who are there 50% of the time. I will lose child benefit if he moves in.

He owns a house but will sell it because the recent changes to mortgage interest tax relief for rental properties makes it pointless to rent it out.

I have said we need to have a cohabitation agreement. I am happy for him to buy into my house but I paid a 15% deposit 2 years ago and have since spent approx £6k on home improvements. Is it fair to ask that he pays 15% of the CURRENT value for an equal share? He earns more than me so I don't think it'd be fair to merge finances as I also have my DC to fund.

If he doesn't go on the deeds I want to charge rent so would the cohabitation agreement guarantee that he has no future claim on my house in the event of a split?

Collaborate Tue 05-Apr-16 17:58:24

That sounds fair. He'll be selling his house at today's values, not 2 years ago values. Perhaps he should also pay £6,000 for improvements.

You are right in the final paragraph. The agreement should say what he's paying you, and that he's not getting an interest in the house in return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now