Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Lodger/ tenant / boarder

(10 Posts)
ifyouregoingthroughhell Fri 01-Apr-16 07:48:27

Can anyone advise me please ? I have two bedrooms that I want to let out to contractors on a short term basis. Technically I don't think they are lodgers, as it won't be their home/postal address. If I provide a meal does this make them a boarder ? What difference does it make for tax purposes ?
I have quite a large mortgage and I am registered as self employed but have no other income at the moment. Can I claim any of my mortgage interest as an expense ? I have looked at the rent a room scheme but am not sure whether I would be better or worse off.
Any advice would be great thanks.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Apr-16 07:52:09

There is legally no difference between lodger and boarder. There is a legal difference between tenant and lodger.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Apr-16 07:54:36

No, you don't claim the mortgage interest as an expense - you just charge them to rent a room and then you organise your own bills. The money you're allowed to earn without paying tax has just gone up.

You would only provide a meal if you want to and it made you more money.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Apr-16 07:57:10

No difference between lodger and boarder for tax purposes.

Only difference is again if they're a tenant or a lodger.

It's easiest to have lodgers as they don't have any of the rights associated with being a lessee (tenant). You can get rid of them quickly if you don't want them to live there. You can organise your own tax affairs with your current self employment status easily.

ifyouregoingthroughhell Fri 01-Apr-16 08:28:15

Thanks for your replies. As this is my only income, would the rent a room scheme allowance be in addition to my personal allowance ?

luluskiptotheloo Fri 01-Apr-16 08:30:15

I am sure that if you do get a lodger you have to notify your mortgage company.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Apr-16 08:34:08

Yes, in additional to personal allowance. Also agree that your mortgage provider may have a problem, but is less likely to than if you rented your house as a lot of them now don't do buy to let mortgages.

HazyMazy Fri 01-Apr-16 08:38:57

Also your insurance provider probably needs to be informed.

Seems complicated. I wonder if you can just say you are putting up a friend of a friend for a while and not declare it.

I'm not saying break the law but if someone stays with us for a few days they often do something in return. We let a family stay in our house when they were between houses and they gave money towards bills. I didn't inform anyone. There was no mortgage though.

Perhaps phone lender and insurer saying you are thinking about doing this and see what they say.

ifyouregoingthroughhell Fri 01-Apr-16 08:45:12

Thanks very much for all your help.

HelenF35 Sun 03-Apr-16 20:40:17

Inform lender, inform insurer. You must also have a landlord gas safety cert if you have has central heating or appliances (in Scotland not sure if England/Wales/Ireland is the same), it costs about £20. As long as you are below the rent a room annual limit in the tax year you don't need to declare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now