Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Caravan on drive contrary to Deeds

(8 Posts)
ruby1234 Tue 15-Mar-16 14:40:07

Our next door neighbours bought a huge caravan at the end of last year and parked it on their drive. It has never moved since. It juts out well in front of the building line and is a complete eyesore.

Our deeds state: "No caravan house on wheels or lorry trailer or other similar vehicle shall be placed or parked on any portion of the land hereby transferred without the written consent of the Company which said consent may be subject to such conditions as screening as the Company may in its absolute discretion determine."

I don't want to speak to them directly as they are not the friendliest people, who would I contact regarding the violation of the deeds?

The Company (housebuilders I presume) are no longer in business. The houses were built around 1985.

annielostit Tue 15-Mar-16 15:16:51

Try speaking to your local council, if it's obstructing you view they might be able to help. My mil neighbour put a container in they're garden, the council forced them to remove it.

VertigoNun Tue 15-Mar-16 15:18:36

I doubt there is much you can do if the builders are no longer around.

MaximumVolume Tue 15-Mar-16 15:24:15

Google "enforcement of covenants". I'm not a lawyer, but for work reasons have had some experience of covenants...it sounds like what this is. It should still be enforceable but you need to find out which property has benefit of the covenant (it might be yours) as they'd be the one to enforce it.

Collaborate Wed 16-Mar-16 09:04:26

The clause is unenforceable. Consent needs to be obtained from an entity that no longer exists. It's not a covenant that benefits in law the adjoining properties. As 8MaximumVolume* posted - you need to find a covenant that specifically benefits neighbouring properties by name.

Don't waste your council's time by contacting them. There's nothing they can do so they won't be interested. I suspect storing a container in the front garden may constitute a change of use for planning purposes. Parking a caravan most certainly is not.

Balletgirlmum Wed 16-Mar-16 09:06:34

I wouldn't have thought it was enforceable either. Those covenants are usually for while the house builders are still trying to sell other properties etc.

whatevva Wed 16-Mar-16 09:11:54

Our covenants from the 1980s are still enforced by the company that took over from the original developers. I am not sure how long it will last because they have been selling off their commercial interests in the area but so far it has held out.

ruby1234 Wed 16-Mar-16 11:31:02

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Looks like I am stuck with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now