Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neighbours garage roof leaking & water is spreading into other garages

(3 Posts)
Fidelia Tue 15-Mar-16 07:44:28

So, full disclosure: I've put an offer on a house. The house also has a garage, it's the middle one in a block of three. The three garages share a roof (looks like asbestos concrete type - 70's built, prefab walls)

The owner just revealed to me that the neighbouring garage has a leaking roof, it's leaking so badly that water comes underneath the prefab cement wall panels.

So, is there anything that can be done to get the owner of the leaking roof to fix it? Where would I stand legally on this once I've bought the house?

Also,the owner of the house I've offered to buy, has suggested just filling the gap at the bottom with concrete to stop the water coming through the bottom, but I'm worried that this would just be a bodge. Also worried that the leaking roof might cause damage to the garage I'd be buying.

The property I'm buying has been well looked after btw.

Any advice?

Collaborate Tue 15-Mar-16 10:00:17

Ask a builder what it would cost to remedy (without the neighbour's cooperation). Deduct that from your offer.

You can technically force the neighbour to take steps to prevent ingression of water, but it would cost much much more than taking it to court.

Fidelia Tue 15-Mar-16 15:00:54

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now