Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

what service do i need from a soliciter for this?

(6 Posts)
KierkegaardGroupie Tue 08-Mar-16 18:08:53

We own a small flat in Brighton. After three years of waiting we finally get quotes for major repair to the roof and repainting front of building.

It will be 125000 between 5 flats.

Shocking amount. Don't totally trust the management company the leaseholder( who also owns a flat in the building).

Anyway haven't worked out how to raise the money yet but when we do......we don't want to just hand over our 25 k till we know all other flats have.
Someone suggested we appoint a solicitor to hold the funds and release them, or lunch when all 125 k has been collected.

What do we ask for if we contact a solicitor and how do we go about finding a reputable non rip off solicitor I'm Brighton.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Just never had this before. Hoping we can tag the money on the mortgage but need to check that too.

zikreetdreaming Wed 09-Mar-16 06:21:53

Can't help on solicitor but what you're looking for is the funds to be held in escrow. A solicitor may or not be willing to hold the funds for you (they're not a bank and if doing only this bit might feel it falls too much into banking operatuons) but they can certainly help with the mechanics.

titchy Wed 09-Mar-16 08:05:34

The management company's bank should do this as a matter of course.

KierkegaardGroupie Thu 10-Mar-16 01:38:36

Thanks titcy and zik

I don't totally trust the management company of the leaseholder- they are terrible at communication and won't even give us an e mail or tel we can contact them on- oh we have a tel no but no one ever answers it. They refuse to give an e mail- the leaseholder said it is not his responsibility to provide an e mail....
I also find the amount ridiculous too- 125 k for a new roof????

KierkegaardGroupie Thu 10-Mar-16 01:39:11

titchy- you need that h

PinotPony Fri 18-Mar-16 19:41:34

I work in property litigation locally to you. Has the managing agent followed the section 20 consultation procedure by providing you with quotations first?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now