Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Conditional caution - fine?

(5 Posts)
DragonMamma Tue 01-Mar-16 20:52:26

I was hoping somebody could shed some light on this situation.

Some drunk damaged my car, for which he was issued with a conditional caution.

They police officer involved asked me to get quotes to repair the damage, which ranged from £500-1000.

I've today received a cheque for £250, which is apparently the amount the guy has to pay.

Surely this can't be right? Why should we be out of pocket to repair damage that he caused to our car, which was parked on our drive.

I certainly don't expect compensation but at the very least, I would like it to be repaired with no cost to us.

Who decides the amount to be awarded? Who would we challenge it with? It hardly seems fair we would have to pay to repair the completely mindless damage he caused.

Choughed Tue 01-Mar-16 21:14:16

That's what insurance is for surely?

notgoingabroad Tue 01-Mar-16 21:15:13

I'm afraid I think it may be right, fines tend to be based on someone's income rather than the damage actually caused.

Redbindippers101 Tue 01-Mar-16 21:18:09

Take him to County Court for the difference.

whaleshark Tue 01-Mar-16 21:32:10

It is not fair, but unfortunately that is how the system works. Conditional cautions are a relatively new thing, previously he would have just had a caution, and you wouldn't have got anything. Can you not claim on your insurance, and at least what he has paid should cover your excess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now