Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce petition help needed please!

(5 Posts)
Stuffythedragon Fri 26-Feb-16 18:20:11

Regular poster but a lot of identifying info so I've nc.

I've finally received my stbxh petition today (after me trying to divorce him three times - amazing!)
He is divorcing based on two year separation - happy with that on both sides.

However, his solicitor wrote to me several weeks ago to say he would pay the costs providing I don't hold it up (not that I would, considering I've begged him for years for a divorce). - again great news.

Now here's where the problems lie - the petition is in my married name (which I haven't used since 2013 when I reverted back to my maiden name) also my date of birth has the incorrect month! Arrgghhhh!

Now I'm worried that because I have to write to solicitor and court to make them aware my name and dob are incorrect, they will see this as a delay on my side and make me pay the costs!

Also we own a home together (which he lives in) will me agreeing to a divorce mean I have no rights over my house??

I'm so confused and would really appreciate any advice if anyone has been through similar.
I cannot afford a solicitor and as I live in quite a big city, none of them offer a free 30 mins sad

Stuffythedragon Fri 26-Feb-16 20:43:23

Quick bump for the night time smile

babybarrister Fri 26-Feb-16 20:52:58

The details need to be correct

You need to deal with finances separately - if ex has a pension then once you are divorced then you lose all rights over pension

You need some proper advice on the money - have a look at the resolution website for a list of specialist family lawyers

Stuffythedragon Fri 26-Feb-16 22:51:20

I thought as much sad part of me wonders of it has been done purposely so I pay costs.

Dungandbother Sat 27-Feb-16 00:04:44

Stuffy I smell a rat.

Divorce is not a clean cut. It depends on so many things.
How long you've been together. Assets including house and pensions (both). Mostly children of the marriage.

I really urge you to find a family lawyer to represent you. I paid £75 for a hour from a shit hot female lawyer. I didn't then use her but I absolutely used her opinion in my negotiations. Do not do this in a hurry and do not do this at quickly as possibly to be rid of it. And lastly do not do this on HIS terms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now