Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

financial settlement

(9 Posts)
rosietea Mon 22-Feb-16 16:26:50

Ok I could do with a fresh / second opinion. 2 kids 16 and 17. Divorced. Living in marital home paying all repairs mortgage and everything for children in my own. Ex won't agree on settlement refusing to pay the court costs which a judge has already said he should when we divorced. I need 60% to buy again and provide a three bed house for our son and daughter.
He refuses constantly says I can only have 50% but keeps putting in his offers that the children have a percentage ? I said I'd waive the court costs and repairs for 60% which he can't pay anyway as gone on dole.
My solicitor is already paid upfront. We are already divorced went through on November .
All my solicitor says is I need to sort out an agreement and my only option is to take it to court I absolutely have not got those fees so cannot.
Where does this leave me, how long can it carry on what if its never resolved ? Is there more my solicitor can do?

Familylawsolicitor Tue 23-Feb-16 00:13:09

Much more info about the other financial circumstances needed. Why don't you ask around locally for some decent recommendations and go and see another solicitor for a second opinion. This is not something anyone can advise you about over the Internet.

rosietea Tue 23-Feb-16 17:15:36

Thanks for the reply , I would if I could afford it. My hands are tied unfortunately. I'm in a position where a every penny is counted for .

Shutthatdoor Tue 23-Feb-16 17:18:15

Where does this leave me, how long can it carry on what if its never resolved ? Is there more my solicitor can do?

Ultimately if mediation doesn't work your next step is court.

Collaborate Wed 24-Feb-16 07:08:49

You'll have to self-represent if you can't afford a solicitor. There's no way around taking it to court I'm afraid.

How much is 10% of the equity worth? That's what you'd be fighting over.

rosietea Thu 25-Feb-16 16:19:19

Depending on how much the house sells for I would say about 7 to 10 thousand pounds ...

rosietea Thu 25-Feb-16 16:22:21

What happens when a case is took to court? Do I have to provide wage slips? Bank statements ?

Collaborate Thu 25-Feb-16 18:01:05

If you're arguing over such a relatively small sum then it's definitely not worth getting a solicitor in. Just self-represent and see what the judge gives you. I appreciate it might make a huge difference to you though.

babybarrister Thu 25-Feb-16 20:02:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now