Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Custody worries in Sweden - babybarrister about?

(5 Posts)
pregnantinsweden Sun 21-Feb-16 19:10:30

My husband and I are English and live in Sweden (met here just after I arrived) We have 2 children, 5 and 1 year old. I've just ended the marriage after an angry outburst with the threat of physical violence. I've since realised I've been controlled and manipulated pretty much the whole time. As we're in Sweden the norm is joint custody. I would like sole custody firstly as he is not good for the kids (access welcome but the EA spreads to them and I don't want that affecting them). Also I'd like to move back to UK. With ryanair flights and his job he'd have no problems being able to see them once a month. He wants near 50 % access and is assuming shared custody. I don't think he realises I have realised how much he's been manipulating me. I'm worried as if it goes to court the emotional abuse would basically come down to his word versus mine and he can be quite charming. I am trying to seek legal advice which is very expensive here. I'd welcome any advice from anyone with knowledge on this. Babybarrister was recommended!

hedgehogsdontbite Sun 21-Feb-16 20:06:46

It looks like your first point of call is socialnämnden at your kommun.

Familylawsolicitor Sun 21-Feb-16 20:20:12

You need advice from a lawyer qualified to advise on Swedish law as that's the law that will apply both on whether you can be the primary carer and if you can relocate to the UK as your children are habitually resident in Sweden.
Whatever you do, don't leave Sweden with the children without his consent as you'll be sent back pretty sharpish by the English courts and it may harm your attempt to obtain residence in a later dispute in the Swedish court

pregnantinsweden Mon 22-Feb-16 19:38:45

Thanks both. I'm in no hurry to leave, however I'm not wanting to spend the next 15 years here and don't want to agree to things that set a precedent. I spoke to one solicitors today and the news was positive (I'd be very likely granted leave to relocate) however it involves a court process. I'm seeing a solicitor recommended by a British firm on Thursday and I'm hoping she can give me the same positive answer.
In the meantime I'll be very careful, I won't even go on holiday to UK without his written consent. It's very hard when we're stuck in the same house until it sells (he won't move somewhere temporary, I can't afford to with the kids).

babybarrister Thu 25-Feb-16 20:14:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now