Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parking Charge Notice

(2 Posts)
VeniceQueen Tue 16-Feb-16 10:31:25

I think that is the correct name for it - in May 2013, I parked in at a retail shopping centre with a number of big retail units. I was meeting friends at a restaurant there at 4pm but needed to do some shopping first so arrived earlier (approx 3pm) and then met them for pizza at 4pm.

I didn't realise at this point there was a 2 hour limit in the free car park and subsequently received a charge notice in the post a few weeks later. I didn't have any receipts and chose (rightly or wrongly) to ignore the notices.

The letters stopped after 7 months or so and I haven't heard anything since until last week when I got a demand for payment. I'm not sure what to do now?

I've looked on MSE but can't seem to find anything relating to the letters starting to arrive again. It seems to relate to historical queries or queries to recently received notices.

I'm loathe to pay anything (£130) as the car park is free and I was using the shops and the restaurant but I can't prove this now (nearly 3 years later).

Does anyone have any advice or experience? Thanks

prh47bridge Wed 17-Feb-16 09:46:58

Ignoring notices from private parking companies used to be good advice but the law has changed. The parking company can enforce this charge. The Supreme Court recently upheld the right of a company to charge someone £85 for overstaying in a free car park. I'm afraid you will probably have to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now