Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Mum is Welsh, Dad Irish, I have an Iranian birth certificate.

(6 Posts)
indigo88 Sat 13-Feb-16 20:35:42

and apart from the first 12 weeks from birth in Iran, I have lived in the UK all my life, however having an Iranian birth certificate has plagued me all my life even though I have a British passport. I constantly have to go through more security checks when applying for jobs and pay for an up to date translation. Anyone in a similar situation?

I'm considering taking legal advice about being able to re-register my birth.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 17-Feb-16 20:56:51

How would you re-register your birth? You can't change where you were born! I think you can get a British birth certificate from the Embassy in Tehran though, if this would help?

lavenderhoney Mon 22-Feb-16 17:53:15

When my dd was born overseas she had a birth cert from that country and to get a British passport she had to get a birth cert from the British embassy there.

Your British birth cert might be somewhere in your parents things, do they remember getting one? You could contact the embassy out there and find out if they could give you a copy?

ivykaty44 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:56:37

Phone the GRO and ask their advice and whether a birth certificate was issued for you in Iran.

SweetAdeline Mon 22-Feb-16 18:00:13

You won't be able to get a British birth certificate, you might be able to get a "consular birth registration certificate" if you were born on or after Jan 1983 but I think they'll still want to see your bc.

SweetAdeline Mon 22-Feb-16 18:01:28

See here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now