Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How to get council to carry out necessary work?

(2 Posts)
whataboutbob Wed 03-Feb-16 19:16:15

As power of attorney I manage my father's student rental flat (he is too poorly to do so himself). It is ex local authority, he is the leaseholder and they are the freeholder. For as long as i've had the reins (3 years) there's been a problem with damp. Especially in 2 of the 3 bedrooms which face onto the back of the property. Over the years i have carried out improvements: new radiator pipes (old ones were leaking) new shower (old shower had leaky pipes), installed a vented tumble dryer, provided a de humidifier. The problem is still there.
Over Christmas I knocked on the door of the flats above and below and introduced myself . Both had the same problem, in fact the one I was let into to have a look had it even worse. Both flats are owner occupied and the residents are careful with steam, drying of clothes etc.
Last year I asked the council to have a look a the building to try and see where the mould was being caused and basically got the brush off.
Now the fact that all 3 flats have the problem make me think it;s penetrating damp. How can i get hte council to take the problem more seriously, check pipes etc? Basically how do you get them to stop passing the buck and do a proper damp assessment on the building, which clearly has a problem. Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

FlossieTurner Wed 03-Feb-16 20:43:36

I would contact the local counsellor and say that if you don't get a reply you will escalate to your MP.

We had a massive problem on our Estate with fly tipping. The council refused to get involved until our MP got on his case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: