Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Unfair executor

(5 Posts)
supersop60 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:04:29

I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend who is on the point of a nervous breakdown. Both of her parents died fairly recently and the oldest son (of 6 children) is the executor. My friend is the youngest of the family and has often felt bullied/neglected by her family throughout her life and it seems to be continuing with her brother's behaviour re distributing the estate. This is a house and its contents. My friend knows nothing about the probate details, because the brother has refused to communicate anything.I don't know if she has seen the Will, or if he has kept an inventory of the items in the estate, or a record of financial transactions. He has refused to let her enter their parents' house, although her older sister has been able to go in and remove items of furniture.
I believe that he is acting against the law, and I'd like to know if I can point my friend towards a website or other source of information, or should she consult a solicitor?

LIZS Thu 28-Jan-16 20:10:34

Solicitor. I fear. She can apply for a copy of the will. Maybe older sister was left specific items which she collected.

supersop60 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:14:37

Thanks. No, the older sister was not left specific items. My friend, when asked, said she would like the little red chair and the sideboard. Elder sister then informed her two days later that she had taken them herself because they matched the dining table and chairs. They don't, apparently (I've not seen them myself). Friend is gutted, mostly at awful behaviour.

RatherBeRiding Fri 29-Jan-16 14:13:52

Definitely consult a solicitor. If there is just the one named executor, it is incredibly easy for that executor to act unfairly and illegally, although once probate has been granted the will will be published .

www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

You can get a copy of the will once probate has been granted. The estate cannot legally be distributed until probate has been granted. This website should give you guidance if you suspect the executor is acting illegally.

supersop60 Sat 30-Jan-16 19:04:43

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now