Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Aldi and Consumer Rights Act

(8 Posts)
Oobis Wed 27-Jan-16 16:29:20

Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

I bought an Aldi branded kettle from Aldi last week. It was faulty so I returned it. I was told (rudely) that I couldn't return it without a receipt. Fortunately, the receipt happened to be in the bag I had returned it in - I had thought I'd binned it so did actually get a refund.

I was unhappy about the customer service so I completed an online feedback form. I was called back and the lady reiterated that Aldi will not refund faulty goods without a receipt or other proof of purchase.

I returned this largely unused kettle in the original packaging, unfit for purpose. It is not a standard line which they stock, having come into store last week, so was clearly less than 6 months old. It was an Aldi brand product.

Have I got this completely wrong? I thought I did not need a receipt if the item was faulty? www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Thanks

Oobis Wed 27-Jan-16 16:35:56

Incidentally, I was told that the receipt requirement was because Aldi branded goods are available on eBay and car boot sales.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 27-Jan-16 16:37:02

You are right, you don't need a receipt, but you do need proof of purchase.

Oobis Wed 27-Jan-16 17:12:51

Even though it is an Aldi branded good? I'm not trying to argue with you, I am genuinely surprise at my purchase of an Aldi only good from an Aldi store would be questioned....thanks though :-)

titchy Wed 27-Jan-16 17:18:37

Debit card statement does the job just as well as itemised store receipt. Though they'll argue the toss no doubt...

Oobis Wed 27-Jan-16 18:20:45

So is it worth paying for things like that separately to normal shopping in future? I think the answer may be to buy things from companies with more customer friendly policies in future....buy cheap buy twice as my husband would say!

I think they train their staff badly: they don't seem to be aware of the Sale of Goods Act.

Either that or it is (illegal) company-wide policy to try to ignore the law.

I don't like either concept.

Sanityseeker75 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:44:09

We had same issue with Tesco Hudl2 (their own brand tablet). Was fault and repair would be charged if we couldn't give proof of purchase as they said people sell them on ebay. Luckily it was brought with clubcard boost and tesco did track back to find this for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now