Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Unprotected deposit, moving abroad...

(6 Posts)
glub Fri 22-Jan-16 19:37:36

Hi, please could someone knowledgeable give me some advice?

I have tried to contact my landlord and the letting agency on several occasions to find out whether the deposit is protected. Judging by their response or lack of I can only assume it's not.
I have written up a letter before action notice using the help of a template from the Shelter website and in it also clearly stated the issues such as the lack of an inventory. I intend to send this by registered post asap.

The problem is, in this notice letter before action, I am required to state that he has 14 days to reply. I'd happily take him to court if he doesn't do the right thing but I'll be out of the country by about the 16th day.

So, will I still be able to take him to the local county court as threatened or will I have to sue him in a court local to where I am moving? Any idea how that would work? I could come back for a week in the holidays if necessary.

Also the letting agency are refusing to return my holding deposit. Any ideas on how to go about getting that back? Do I go via the Property Redress Scheme they are registered with?

Must add I have kept the place clean if not always especially tidy and have photos to prove it. Also always paid my rent on time and been polite towards them (a struggle at times!). Agency have been unreasonable from the start and landlord hasn't been very nice either. Relations with both have reached the point of no return.


LIZS Fri 22-Jan-16 19:40:46

I think you can file small claims online now.

glub Fri 22-Jan-16 20:08:01

Thanks Lizs I've looked into filing online but the service cannot be used to get a deposit back from a landlord.

specialsubject Sat 23-Jan-16 11:06:15

with no inventory and an unprotected deposit they've no comeback on any damage, so that's not the issue.

never heard of Property Redress but there they are on - live and learn. They may be your only path.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Jan-16 17:03:37

I use prior to action letters a lot 14 days is the minimum notice you need to give, if you are beyond this it is okay, but you need to give the prior to action notice.

glub Sun 24-Jan-16 16:14:49

special subject i hope you're right smile
thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now