Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

"Bed and breakfast" will not be providing breakfast

(7 Posts)
whataboutbob Sun 17-Jan-16 14:05:58

OK I utterly realise this is a very 1st world problem. However i find myself irked having booked and expensive B&B in Croatia (advertised as such and stating it provided breakfast to those who book directly) now informing me, when I emailed to confirm breakfast was included, that it actually isn't.
No offer of compensation.
Is this legal?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Sun 17-Jan-16 14:22:54

Can you cancel? I doubt you will get "compensation" as such but you might be able to argue for a discount if you can show it was clearly included but if it's not down as a matter of goodwill then you can't force their hand easily. Also, if they are cheaper than their rivals then there's a good argument thra your loss is minimal.
I would suggest a quick email or call explaining that you were lead to believe that there would be breakfast and are a bit confused by the situation changing.
Other than that, consider booking elsewhere as an alternative if it's very important to youz

Collaborate Sun 17-Jan-16 19:01:08

Hopefully you put more than £100 of the cost on your credit card so can reclaim it when you cancel.

whataboutbob Sun 17-Jan-16 21:19:08

Thanks both for responding. The place is not cheap, far from it. I chose it because it's in the old city in Dubrovnik and has rave reviews on Tripadvisor.
They told me i can cancel without penalty, but perversely maybe I have decided to stay anyway because it seems a good place. I told them i am not impressed though that they have changed the terms and conditions unilaterally. They sort of apologised but say recent legislation in Coratia means small establishments can no longer offer breakfast. No idea if that's true.

MidniteScribbler Mon 18-Jan-16 02:11:41

They said you can cancel without penalty, so you haven't got a leg to stand on. If breakfast means that much, then cancel and go elsewhere.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Mon 18-Jan-16 08:59:35

If you're in the old city then you'll be spoilt for choice for alternative places for breakfast.
Go and enjoy it, it's sounds idyllic!

Oriunda Tue 19-Jan-16 08:51:14

It's quite normal in Italy (at least in our town) for bed and breakfasts not to actually provide breakfast. They use the English term but haven't grasped the fact that we expect breakfast. Instead they sometimes provide a voucher for the closest bar. Tbh, breakfast in Italy often consists of a coffee and croissant or pastry, so most people do go to a bar for it anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now