Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Am i allowed to put spikes on my gate/fence?

(5 Posts)
Newlywed123 Thu 14-Jan-16 17:43:40

My neighbour stopped me this morning to inform me that on Christmas eve (I was staying away) that she heard my bins banging (they're on my parking space). She saw a man moving my bin to my gate st the side of my house , he was climbing on it to get into my back garden. She scared him away.

She said the previous to owner had this happen to her and the couple before had it happen twice. My house is right in the corner with no street light so is an easy target. I don't feel very safe. I have a young child and a baby on the way.

Where do I stand with putting spikes or sharp wiring on my gate and fencing? Is there anything else I can do to stop people getting over? I'm putting my bins around the back and going to pad lock my gate.

Any advice would 've appreciated.

Cabawill Thu 14-Jan-16 17:45:44

Not sure about the spikes but could you get a movement activated light that would shine on the area? It's often enough to put people off.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 14-Jan-16 17:58:06

Trellis along the top of your wall - it's too flimsy to support adult weight to climb over - just make sure it's attached to your wall really well so they can't pull it off (plus it won't be dangerous to animals). Prickly bushes along the full length of the wall - holly grows quite tall. Also second the security light.

An ex policewoman told me the glass/wire thing doesn't work (as well as legal implications) as they can just cover it over with a coat/thick fabric like random carpet that's been fly tipped.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Thu 14-Jan-16 18:14:53

not sure, but where we live we have security fencing in a weak spot. there is antivandal paint but it has to have a sign as far as I am aware, and another local house has installed barbed wire with large notices.

pyrocanthus is also bloody vicious spiney bastard effective.

Newlywed123 Thu 14-Jan-16 18:15:51

I never thought of a security movement light, will get one first thing tomorrow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now