Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Lost trainers...who should pay??

(10 Posts)
htlovesbubbles41 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:56:04

Hope this question doesn't seem too pathetic, but it's causing me a bit of grief. My son went to football with his dad (my ex-husband), returned home to me and had left his boots somewhere; they were lost. My son offered to pay half to replace them, which I thought was kind of him (he's 11). So I suggested to his dad that they pay half each - as the boots were lost when he had had him. His dad didn't like this idea, bought new boots and has deducted the amount from my child maintenance allowance this week. Any advice/thoughts on further steps would be very welcomed. Thanks in advance.

kittybiscuits Thu 14-Jan-16 06:16:10

Unless the child maintenance is extremely generous and above the legal mimimum, I would go through Child Maintenance Service. They would chase this for you and tell him if he doesn't pay the arrears and start paying te correct amount, they will collect it from him plus a 20% surcharge.

htlovesbubbles41 Thu 14-Jan-16 08:33:43

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your advice. He does only give me the minimum amount so the amount he has deducted is a large chunk of it. I will take it further. Thanks again xx

expatinscotland Thu 14-Jan-16 08:44:32

I'd go through CMS. What a dickhead he is, to begrudge his own son a pair of boots.

htlovesbubbles41 Thu 14-Jan-16 08:55:08

Absolutely!! And he made him walk from his car to our house when he dropped him off in bare feet, in the wet. Yes he is dick head, in so many ways, and I'm not going to let him get away with it this time. You've empowered me!! Thanks xx

kittybiscuits Thu 14-Jan-16 12:41:17

Good for you! If he's generally a dickhead, all the more reason to go through CMS. It will cost you £20 to open the case but they will deal with him and they will also check his income yearly. What an idiot!

htlovesbubbles41 Thu 14-Jan-16 15:09:55

Total, and I've put up with so much crap from him... But this I can fight and will fight!! Thanks for your support xx

cannotlogin Thu 14-Jan-16 17:59:23

To be clear, the CMS will NOT chase missed payments on cases which are not yet open.

htlovesbubbles41 Thu 14-Jan-16 19:34:25

How do I go about opening a case? Guessing details are all on their website?

kittybiscuits Thu 14-Jan-16 22:58:58

Ring Child Maintenance Options. When they ask you, tell them you're ready to start a case with CMS. They'll give you a reference number and you ring and start the case. Yes they will only deal with what occurs from the day you open the case. So next time he pulls this stunt, he'll get a phone call telling him he's in arrears and if he doesn't sort it they'll start collecting the money plus 20%.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now