Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Legal matters regarding rented accommodation and EX -Please help!

(3 Posts)
nikkib1967 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:18:14

I separated with my ex over 18 months ago (we were never married) and have no children together. He became an alcoholic and I tried my best to support over ten years but finally could take no more as he had beld me dry financially, mentally and physically. I had to go bankcrupt because of his debts and actions. During the 10 year period we were together he paid rent of £200 per calendar month to my parents (well under the asking rate for a 4 bed house). We rented my parents home whilst they lived abroad.On many occasion my ex forgot about paying the rent.
Anyway to cut a long story short - hes still an alcoholic and I have had no contact with him since I kicked him out of the home 8 months ago. However today my parents have recieved an email from him threatening financial implications and hes going to a solicitor to sort of his share of the property. Surely he dose not have a legal leg to stand on? Please help Im really worried about this. The deeds of the house have always been and still remain in my fathers name.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks

Nikki

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 06-Jan-16 14:27:35

I'm not a lawyer, but there's absolutely no way your ex owns any share of your parents' property. If that were the case, no-one would ever rent out a place!

Nice try, though.

N1cholas Wed 06-Jan-16 18:37:23

Just ignore him. If he does go to a solicitor he will be politely informed that a cohabiting couple jointly renting property do not acquire rights over that property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now